Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Energizer UPS software - won't work- power outage  (Read 4228 times)

jeffgson

Energizer UPS software - won't work- power outage
« on: September 23, 2006, 10:20:19 AM »
I had to truncate the subject but you get the gist of it.  I purchased and installed an Energizer ER Pro-1000 UPS about four months ago.  During a thunderstorm when my electricity was lost, I had to shut down my computer manually.

Later when I thought about it, I realized that I must have forgotten to configure the settings when I installed the software.  It turns out that the UPS function options panel that has the shutdown options in case of power loss are dark/inactive - they cannot be set.

I checked the cable from my UPS to my USB port, and it is connected.  There is a UPS control panel icon in my system tray, and when I float the mouse cursor over it I receive a message UPS Communication Established.  The UPS modules upsc.exe, upssrv.exe, and upsio.exe are all running processes in the task manager.

The most irritating part is this: there is no manual for the UPS (hardcopy or on the installation CD), and the company that made it seems to have disappeared from the web - repeated attempts to connect to the web address on the installation CD or to the web address found on Google return 404 'page not found' errors.

Does anybody have an idea?  I did uninstall/reinstall the software without any change in the situation.  Having to either stay in the house if there are thunderstorms forecast (like tonight where I live) or shut off the computer before I go is a nuisance.  I never turn my computer off unless the electricity goes out or I have to add/change hardware.

As always, your time and consideration are greatly appreciated.

Jeff G

Raptor

Re: Energizer UPS software - won't work- power out
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2006, 11:32:39 AM »
he most irritating part is this: there is no manual for the UPS (hardcopy or on the installation CD), and the company that made it seems to have disappeared from the web - repeated attempts to connect to the web address on the installation CD or to the web address found on Google return 404 'page not found' errors.

Are you sure you weren't ripped off...?  :-? What company is it?

You may need to configure Windows to work with the UPS power supply, have you tried doing so?

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2006, 02:01:48 PM »
By another UPS and, this time, get a known brand such as APC.  

Having to either stay in the house if there are thunderstorms forecast (like tonight where I live) or shut off the computer before I go is a nuisance.  I never turn my computer off unless the electricity goes out or I have to add/change hardware.

Well, my goodness.  Time for a change in thinking about some of your computer usage habits.  How about Hibernation?  Set it to happen automatically.

jeffgson

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2006, 03:10:45 PM »
I bought the UPS from Tiger Direct.  I'd seen Energizer UPS before when I was browsing online computer hardware stores.  My mistake is that I thought this UPS was made by Eveready, the battery manufacturer.

And I don't turn my computer off because or put it into hibernation because its my music source - I hate commercial radio.  And I always leave it on for my four cats, even if I've left.

Lastly, I'll have to learn more about configuring Windows for an UPS.  I hadn't even thought about it - my Belkin UPS worked without making any modifications.  I'll check to see if there are any MS KB articles on the topic.

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2006, 05:18:50 PM »
And I don't turn my computer off because or put it into hibernation because its my music source - I hate commercial radio.  And I always leave it on for my four cats, even if I've left.

Nice fire hazard with all the dust and cat hair that gets stuck in the fans. Plus it's a good way to waste energy..

Lastly, I'll have to learn more about configuring Windows for an UPS.  I hadn't even thought about it - my Belkin UPS worked without making any modifications.  I'll check to see if there are any MS KB articles on the topic.

You can configure an UPS in Windows by going to Start -> Settings -> Configuration -> Power Management -> UPS tab

(Freely translated..)

« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 05:19:03 PM by Raptor »