Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: help please i dunno whats wrong with my pc  (Read 3136 times)

geane888

help please i dunno whats wrong with my pc
« on: September 25, 2006, 03:27:49 AM »
 :'( well here's what happens
when i push the power button....only the red LED would turn on the yellow LED wont....at this condition my monitor's LED is blinking and no display....

if i kept on pushing the power button and once the yellow LED turns on, the pc would start up then hang while the windows is initializing or hang at windows start up....

if i removed my modem, the pc would startup but later on hang....i dunno why

if i remove the cdrom and the harddisk...the computer would wait for both and would not start up....

once i shut down the pc then start it up again....there are times when the yellow LED won't turn on and there are times when it would....

uhm please help me on what is the possible defect of my pc? :'(

RankenTech

Beginner
  • sexay computer nerd
    Re: help please i dunno whats wrong with my pc
    « Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 07:56:35 AM »

if i remove the cdrom and the harddisk...the computer would wait for both and would not start up....

You probably don't want to remove the hard drive, yet. That'll cause you some problems.  ;)

Please post more specs. Like, Processor type and speed, motherboard model, RAM, video card model, and Windows version. Too much is better than not enough. When did this problem happen? Can you remember what you were doing right before it started happening? Give us as much info as possible to work with.
    A+
    MCP
    CCNA

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
      • Obituary
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 04:24:45 PM »
    geane888 welcome to computerhope. ;D

"if i removed my modem, the pc would startup but later on hang....i dunno why"

Does this mean you can get to windows without the modem,or what?

Also do as RankenTech  suggested.

Gimme!Gimme!Gimme!  Information.
    « Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 04:25:11 PM by street1 »
    Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 06:45:57 PM »

Do I read you right?  You're don't understand why your computer won't start with the hard drive removed?  Do you know the function of the hard drive?  It stores Windows program files and the program files for all other programs.  So, obviously, your computer won't start without a hard drive.

homer

Expert
      « Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 10:44:06 PM »
      what are these red and yellow LED's? where are they located/attached to?

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2006, 03:08:44 AM »

Do I read you right?  You're don't understand why your computer won't start with the hard drive removed?  Do you know the function of the hard drive?  It stores Windows program files and the program files for all other programs.  So, obviously, your computer won't start without a hard drive.

Be careful there, because a computer does start without a HDD attached. It's the OS that can't be loaded.

LegoLas

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2006, 05:11:24 AM »
        as far as i understand u can boot OS (somehow).
        so why don't run daignostic software after?
        if u cann't download (or modem doesn't work) u can take HD out from ur PC and istall software
        on ur frineds/roomates/relates/anyones pc.

soybean

Genius
        « Reply #7 on: September 26, 2006, 08:20:35 AM »
        as far as i understand u can boot OS (somehow).
        so why don't run daignostic software after?
        [highlight]if u cann't download (or modem doesn't work) u can take HD out from ur PC and istall software
        on ur frineds/roomates/relates/anyones pc. [/highlight]
        So, you're saying put his hard drive in a different computer as the master drive and then install software on it?  If that's what you mean, it's a bad idea.  Other computer would need different drivers, and Windows XP would probably think it's in a different computer and would prompt him to do the Microsoft activation procedure.

LegoLas

Beginner

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2006, 02:35:06 AM »
          he could put his HD as slave to avoid that problems related with drivers.
          or if it is not possible he can buy diagnostic software phisically.
          so if there anything wrong now, soybean?

soybean

Genius
          « Reply #9 on: September 27, 2006, 08:40:47 AM »

Be careful there, because a computer does start without a HDD attached. It's the OS that can't be loaded.
          Well, if, by "start", you mean the power will come on, fans start running, etc., yes, I agree.  But, I believe the original poster, like many users, would define start to include Windows loading.  The original poster said, in his OP, "if i kept on pushing the power button and once the yellow LED turns on, the pc would start up then [highlight]hang while the windows is initializing or hang at windows start up[/highlight].... "

soybean

Genius
          « Reply #10 on: September 27, 2006, 08:45:35 AM »
          he could put his HD as slave to avoid that problems related with drivers.
          or if it is not possible he can buy diagnostic software phisically.
          so if there anything wrong now, soybean?
          I interpreted your previous post to mean put the hard drive in another computer and install software on that drive.  Now that you've clarified that he could install the HD as slave and run diagnostic software from the primary HD to diagnose the slave drive, I agree with what you're saying.
          « Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 08:46:32 AM by soybean »

Raptor

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2006, 09:43:30 AM »

Well, if, by "start", you mean the power will come on, fans start running, etc., yes, I agree.  But, I believe the original poster, like many users, would define start to include Windows loading.  The original poster said, in his OP, "if i kept on pushing the power button and once the yellow LED turns on, the pc would start up then [highlight]hang while the windows is initializing or hang at windows start up[/highlight].... "

It is important, because if you say "My computer doesn't start"when you actually mean "Windows doesn't start" you're missing an important step in trouble shooting. Windows is NOT the computer and neither is the computer Windows.

So if someone tells you 'my computer doesn't start' by all means rub into their faces that it's Windows that doesn't start unless the PC doesn't pass the POST. ;)

soybean

Genius
          « Reply #12 on: September 27, 2006, 10:12:15 AM »
          Good point.  Thanks.