Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Runtime Error!  (Read 5229 times)

Barbiro

Runtime Error!
« on: September 15, 2004, 06:02:00 PM »
My Mom's computer is receiving this error message at startup: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library.

Runtime Error! Program: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RPCSS.EXE

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.....etc.

It does load the desktop with all the icons if I start it in Safe Mode, but any program icon I click on, I get the same message of:

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.....etc.

Can someone please help me? I don't know what to do anymore and can't afford a technician. :( Thank you.

merlin_2

Re: Runtime Error!
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2004, 12:37:52 AM »
run this first>http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/ this C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RPCSS.EXE  <is remote acccess> are you sharing files/printers what operating system have you got...
« Last Edit: September 16, 2004, 12:39:06 AM by merlin_2 »

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2004, 05:13:33 AM »

Barbi

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2004, 08:00:47 AM »
Merlin, I'm not sure if she's sharing files.  How do I check that?  She's using Windows 98.

Raptor, the link says this is the reason:

This issue occurs because [PROGRAM NAME] is not totally compatible with the versions of Internet Explorer listed earlier in this article.

BUT that can't be it because it's happening for all her software programs, not just a specific one.  They were working fine 2 days ago.

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2004, 09:35:17 AM »
Perhaps you can still apply the solution?

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2004, 02:29:26 PM »
 Having this message appear on win98 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RPCSS.EXE  is caused by trojan/spyware...download spysweeper from www.webroot.com...and it should clear it...