Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: power supply fan killing me  (Read 2058 times)

really_confused

power supply fan killing me
« on: September 26, 2006, 08:44:14 PM »
 :-? :-?here's the deal, firstly i'm probably the dumbest person on this forum. computer shut down in the middle of burning a cd . tells me hardware manager has found a problem go to power set up for more details. went  into setup power hardware tab ,power fan is turning 1300 rpm and is colored red. this tells me that the fan is dying, no problem i go get a new one. before i pulled it apart i thought i would check it one more time, this time power fan reads NA. so now i'm sure the fan is gone,install new fan ,same deal power fan is NA.what did i do wrong, and where do i go from here. thanx for your help

pcj240ross

Re: power supply fan killing me
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 08:57:37 PM »
are you talking the PS fan? If so, just go buy a new one, PS components are very tricky and one more point of advise, dont mess with it. They can hold enough of a charge while unplugged to stop your heart.

really_confused

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 10:06:45 PM »
replaced fan but the power hardware screen does not  read that it is running it still says that it is NA,but the fan is running

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 10:10:33 PM »
    I think he was suggesting that you replace the whole power supply, not just the fan.

pcj240ross

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 10:13:39 PM »
    Well...... Messing with t he PS is a bad idea. My guess is that a sensor is simply malfunctioning but who knows. Check the voltages and if all checks out then all is probably fine but.... messing with the power supply is risking frying your computer and zapping yourself. You can buy a voltage tester for usually 5 -10$, if it were me Id spend 60 on a PS

pcj240ross

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2006, 10:15:55 PM »
    one more thing, A hot PS could start a fire.... buy a new one

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2006, 02:46:45 AM »
    I think the Power fan is not the PSU fan, unless you have a PSU that can register the speed of its fans. Which I doubt. What brand is it?

It is most likely the fan located underneath the PSU sucking air out.