Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Ready to stab out an eye  (Read 2250 times)

Jennifer_Provo

Ready to stab out an eye
« on: September 26, 2006, 07:28:30 PM »
I have been trying to download service pack 2 for about 3 hrs now. Someone help! Everytime it begins installation I get the message:

The file "c:\windows\system32\ftp.exe is open or in use by another application. Close all other applications and then click RETRY.

There are no other programs open when this happens. This happens online, and when I try to use the disc as well. When I checked the technical info that is to be sent to MICROSOFT it says that the following file will be sent with the error report:

c:\windows\temp\WAT4.tmp

Holy moly! What does that mean? I'm just a regular gal! Can't deal with this...thanks for any input.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Ready to stab out an eye
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 09:11:54 PM »
So, you've tried to download it from the Internet, right?  I'll mention two other options for getting it.  One is to Order Windows XP Service Pack 2 on CD.  The other, ask someone to download SP2 and burn it to a CD for you.  Here's the download link: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 10:16:58 PM »
    Remove the file WAT4.tmp, it's only a temp file.

Better still...
    CLEANUP
    Ccleaner
    (During install, uncheck the Yahoo Toolbar option)
    (After install, set Options>Advanced> 'Uncheck the 48 hour box')

Then run the cleaner & also scan for issues.

Have you checked your computer recently?
    Online Virus Scan and Spyware Scan
    http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/activescan.htm

Online Malware Scan
    http://www.ewido.net/en/

Jennifer_Provo

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 07:56:46 AM »
    Thanks to both of you. I do indeed have the disc and have tried to download SP2 with the disk and from the Update Website.

I don't think I have a Yahoo toolbar and I didn't see an option to install it while trying to download SP2. Also, I clean up the computer frequently. You know, I've been trying to download SP2 for at least a year now and it is ALWAYS that same message about an application using that particular file.

Any other ideas? Thanks!

Jennifer_Provo

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 07:59:55 AM »
    I will try to delete the file as you suggested. So far I can't find it. When I go to Explore and I click on the "WINDOWS" folder, it's empty. Maybe it has hidden files, but I don't know how to "unhide them." The properties in the WINDOWS folder say "READ ONLY"... thanks though. Ill try to figure that out...Ciao for now.