Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hard drive space  (Read 3121 times)

Stewart Byrne

Hard drive space
« on: September 16, 2004, 06:39:40 AM »
 ???
I've just picked up a free pc from work, but the hard drive only shows total space of 1.99GB, but the properties shows that the actual physical hard drive space is 6.4GB.

Why is this, and what can I do to the C: drive so it's shows the full 6.4GB? So I can install more problems?

Any suggestions?

Many thanks

Stewart

Raptor

Re: Hard drive space
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2004, 07:43:02 AM »
So I can install more problems?

I donot see in why you'd want to install more problems, but yeah, that is possible.

You say the total amount of gigabyte the hard drive has is 6.4GB, correct? And now only 1.99GB remains.

Have you ever thought of the fact that the programs and operating system installed require hard drive space as well? Perhaps the hard drives are poorly formatted.

Did you format the hard drive before installing an operating system?

You need to provide us with more adequate information.

Computer_Commando

Re: Hard drive space
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2004, 04:22:20 PM »
...the hard drive only shows total space of 1.99GB, but the properties shows that the actual physical hard drive space is 6.4GB.

Why is this, and what can I do to the C: drive so it's shows the full 6.4GB? ...

Win95, Win98 or what?  If one of the 2, it probably formatted as FAT16 instead of FAT32, FAT16 partitions are limited to 2.0GB.