Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help Partitioning/Creating Logical Driv on Windows  (Read 2527 times)

Rob_B

Help Partitioning/Creating Logical Driv on Windows
« on: September 28, 2006, 04:34:55 AM »
Under 'Create a Partition or Logical Drive' on Windows Help and Support, it says to go into Disk Management and "Right-click an unallocated region of a basic disk, and then click New Partition".

Problem is, I don't have an unallocated region of basic disk to work with. How can I rectify this?

Currently, I just have C on my computer, but on my old one (which I didn't set up myself) I had F, E and G as well and I want to have the same again.

Thanks,
Rob  :)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 04:36:32 AM by Rob_B »

Raptor

Re: Help Partitioning/Creating Logical Driv on Win
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 04:37:35 AM »
You can't. You probably used everything to install Windows XP and if you want to repartition, you'll have to reformat or use Partition Magic(click)

Redeyes_Gambit

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 12:53:46 PM »
Actually, I may have another solution. Partition magic will work, but it's not cheap. There is another program besides to partition magic though that will allow you to non-destructively re-size a partition and t is totally free (I like free :) ), HOWEVER I have not yet tried this program, so progress at your own risk. I may have time tonight to throw together a spare PC and try a partition re-size, so I'll see if I can post my results and a walk through of specific steps then. But, if you want to go ahead and download the program and burn it to a CD to get ready, here's what you do:

The program I am speaking of is called gparted live cd. All you have to do is download the ISO, or zipped ISO from http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=115843&package_id=173828 and then burn the ISO to a CD.

If you have never burned an ISO disk image please tell us and we'll walk you through the process as it's a bit different than just burning a normal cd. Also, you will need to make sure your PC will boot from the CD-ROM drive. Again, if you have no idea what I am talking about just let us know and we'll explain.

Anyway, I'll see if I can get around to testing this program out later on tonight.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 08:15:17 AM »
Gnome Parted is great, and does what is says on the tin.  Some familiarity with Linux is a huge bonus though, because it uses Linux conventions when describing hard drives, partitions, etc.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos