Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Monitor picture turned green!  (Read 3314 times)

woolverton7

Computer Monitor picture turned green!
« on: September 29, 2006, 01:14:54 PM »
While I was using my computer, the monitor color suddenly turned green.  I could still see everything but it was all in green.  A little while later it suddenly went back to normal.  The next day the same thing happened but this time it didn't go back to normal.  The monitor is pretty old.  I hooked up a different monitor to the computer and it works fine.  What I want to know is, is this a fixable problem?  I don't know what to do with the monitor and I don't want to have to pay someone to take it away.  If it is fixable then I can give it away to someone free.    I'd also like to know for future reference in case this ever happens again.  Any help is appreciated!  Thanks!

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Computer Monitor picture turned green!
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 02:05:52 PM »
I would try degausing it.  Has anything exuding magnetic forces, such as speakers, been positioned closer to the monitor before this happened?  If not, and if degausing does not help, I'd say the monitor is failing.  

As far as disposing of it, inquire about recycling options in your area.  A local computer organization in my area (central Ohio) has an annual drive to collect used computers and periperals.  They ship the stuff to a prison where the components are broken down and certain metals extracted.  

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 03:48:24 PM »
How old is it? When one colour channel dies, there isn't anything you can do about it.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006, 12:26:32 AM »
The R, G, and B signals are carried separately on a typical RGB connection.  So a failure in the connectors at either end, or in the cable, can cause this problem.  Also a failure in one of the guns in the monitor, or certain problems with your graphics card can cause this.

Ensure connections are securely fastened.  If this does not resolve the issue, try the monitor on a different PC, to eliminate either the monitor or the graphics card as the cause of the problem.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos