Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Install Windows XP, no floppy, no BIOS access  (Read 5557 times)

Raptor

Re: Install Windows XP, no floppy, no BIOS access
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2006, 03:14:35 AM »
An ESD bracelet is about 5 bucks...

And they come in a lot of colour styles.

GX1_Man

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2006, 03:18:53 PM »
Laptops are NOT the same as desktops.  ::)

The BIOS password is not meant to be be got around in the ways that you can on a desktop. Check with the manufacturer, but I'll bet you end up needing a new mainboard.

paulinnorway

Topic Starter

Rookie
    « Reply #17 on: October 03, 2006, 05:58:14 AM »
    UPDATE:

I downloaded the "Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 2 Utility: Setup Disks for Floppy Boot Install" from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=15491F07-99F7-4A2D-983D-81C2137FF464&displaylang=en

Once I had all 6 floppy disks ready I followed all the steps only to get an error screen after installing the final disk :-/ :

One thing that could help is that I found a new startup menu. I only saw it because the external floppy drive delayed the startup procedure by half a second. This allowed my to see an extra option "Press F12 for boot device selection menu".
    When I pressed F12 I was given these options:
    1. Hard Drive
    2. CD-ROM/DVD Drives
    3. Removable Devices
    4. Network Boot

By selecting "3. Romoveable Devices" I was able to try to boot from the 6 floppy disks, but that was unsuccessful. However, when I rebboted and chose "2. CD-ROM/DVD Drives" everything went fine :D .

So I'm now in the middle of a clean install of Windows XP (at last!).
    Thanks again to everyone who offered their help in this thread.... much appreciated

Raptor

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2006, 10:28:42 AM »
    No problem, glad you figured it out. I'd still try to break the password on the BIOS if I were you, though.

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
      • Obituary
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #19 on: October 03, 2006, 07:27:10 PM »
    No problem, glad you figured it out. I'd still try to break the password on the BIOS if I were you, though.

BwaHaHaHa!!!ROTFLMAO

Thanks Raptor.I needed that!!
    Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.