Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: changing partition sizes  (Read 4613 times)

davietich

changing partition sizes
« on: September 19, 2004, 03:48:00 AM »
i have a 120 gb hard drive with 4 partitions- 4x30 gb!"
 i would like to change this to 2 partitions 1x 30 gb(o/s c drive) and 1 x 90gb - is this possible in windows xp without reformatting the complete drive??
cheers davie

Raptor

Re: changing partition sizes
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2004, 03:57:29 AM »
Should you decide to alter partitions, all information will be erased.

Mac

Re: changing partition sizes
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2004, 04:31:03 AM »
It certainly is. Just take all of your data off drives D, E & F and then delete all three.

You keep the Extended Partition and make just the One drive D: within it and then you can re-boot and format it from the C: drive.

Your C: drive seems to be a bit BIG do you really need more than 8Gb?

If not, then use Partition Magic and let it do all of the changes for you.

With PM, and provided you have enough free-space you could move data from drive E: to drive D: delete drive E: and make drive D: bigger. (60Gb)

Drive F: will now change its drive letter to E:

You should then be able to move data from drive E: (again, because of the drive letter change) to drive D: and make drive D: bigger again. (90Gb)

You should then be able to shrink drive C: down to a reasonable size to suite your OS and the need to update. (Say 8Gb) and then increase the size of drive D: by a further 22Gb to 112Gb.

When you have shrunk the C: drive I would take the precaution of making a drive image of your installation on several CDRs (NOT CD-RWs!!!) so you can do a quick restore if you ever have to.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2004, 04:31:53 AM by Mac »