Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Extenal Hardrive  (Read 4125 times)

Nigel

Extenal Hardrive
« on: September 18, 2004, 06:40:42 AM »
I purchased a n4ce external unit which you can plug a hard disc into. The unit connects to my laptop via a usb 2 port.

The problem is that the drive is not showing up on the directory.

I'm running xp. The box that the unit came with says that the drive will work with xp. I have a disc with drivers on it but the instructions on this do not mention xp, although it does say that no drivers are needed for windows 2000

merlin_2

« Last Edit: September 18, 2004, 03:25:47 PM by merlin_2 »

Computer_Commando

Re: Extenal Hardrive
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2004, 05:21:44 PM »
That's a 3.5" notebook drive?  Try asking here:  http://www.everythingusb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=110

Nigel

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2004, 12:43:16 PM »
Commando. That site was just what i needed..... and i thought i could just plug it in and it would work.   Doh.

Computer_Commando

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2004, 05:57:23 PM »
...and i thought i could just plug it in and it would work...

That's what I thought, too.  USB has a mind of its own, it barely worked with Win98, somewhat better with Win2k, not so good with WinXP.  With the same external hard drive, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.  I no longer use mine for primary backups, I use a 2nd internal hard drive on my desktop and my notebook is a secondary backup via my home network.