Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Power Supplies, loading, and graphic distortion  (Read 5200 times)

6tm

Power Supplies, loading, and graphic distortion
« on: September 18, 2004, 08:11:52 AM »
So last night I discovered my power supply had gone bad after two or three years. Fair enough. I went out and bought a new 300W power supply (the same wattage as the old one). So now, the computer runs. Good times. Except.

When I start the computer, I get subtle distortion. The "VPR Matrix" logo that comes up when I start has a few bars where black has turned to white. Odd patterns show up in the background of the boot menu (I dual boot between SuSe and WinXP). When it asks me to boot in safe mode, often there are incorrect characters throughout - ascii diamonds running down the page and replacing whatever letter happens to be in that column, unless by some chance it's selected (then it's a P). When I try to load Windows, I get through the status bar for loading, and then I get all sorts of garbage on a static image on the screen. SuSe will get through the status bar, and then freeze on whatever it does first on startup.

Any thoughts?

Raptor

Re: Power Supplies, loading, and graphic distortio
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2004, 08:25:23 AM »
Did you perhaps damage components when attempting to install the Power Supply Unit? I suggest you check all the cable connections and see if your videocard or any additional PCI cards have become loose.

blarkin

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2004, 05:46:05 AM »
I too have a power supply problem. WHile using my 5 yr computer, it suddenly went "phumpht" twice and then the computer quit. I inspected the back and found some wires near the fan and power supply plug had melted on to the frame. Is this the power supply unit?

i hope to  salvage the hard disc data and transfer to new computer if replacing the pwoer supply is the likely problem.

Many thanks, nice site,
bob

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2004, 07:02:29 AM »
Blarkin, I donot quite understand what 'the back' is. Are you referring to the back of your case?

Melted wires is never a good sign, you should replace your Power Supply Unit.

If you wish to save any data, you can mount your current HDD as a slave in your new computer and copy data off it. Or continue using it.

blarkin

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2004, 02:18:41 AM »
thanks for your reply. By back, I had meant the rear of the computer where the fan exhaust exits. If you think that power supply canjust  melt down, I'll look about for a replacement. Have you heard of such a problem before?

thanks,

BOB :o

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2004, 06:02:41 AM »
This article may be of interest to you.

How Stuff Works - How PC Power Supplies Work

Power Supply Units can become very hot, a failing fan may be the result of damage to your system.