Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PC Case Question  (Read 5336 times)

PussEKatt

PC Case Question
« on: October 06, 2006, 07:30:07 AM »
I have a DVD/RW that I want to fit to my Tower Case, but it looks like the only way to get this hardware into my case is from the front.Is it possable to remove the front of a tower case or is there another way to fit this drive. :-?
Also one of the flaps ( the bit that opens up when the CD draw opens ) is permantly open ( the flap is horozental ) and the CD drive can be seen, is there a way to fix this problem also ( it must only be a very small spring that holds this flap up ) any help will be very much appreciated as both these problems are very annoying. >:(
Thanks in advance  :) :) :)

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: PC Case Question
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 08:47:00 AM »
Have you opened your computer case?  You may have a removable bezel on front but it's often not necessary to remove that to install a CD or DVD drive.  Depending on how your case is designed, you can either remove one or both side panels or, if the sides and top are all one piece, remove it.  

I don't know about fixing the flap.  All I can suggest is examine it very closely and try to identify what's causing the malfunction.  Does the flap move or is it stuck in one position?  When the tray is in, can you manually close the flap?  

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 10:43:49 AM »
You're going to have to open it up from the side like any other case.

What type of case is it?

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 01:08:45 PM »
Perhaps a picture would be helpful? This is like trying to describe what color orange is?

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
    • Obituary
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 09:15:30 PM »
I'll bite! What color is it orange?  ;D

Do you have a Clump Hammer?

What is the brand name of the case?

Is this a store bought computer like Compaq ,
Sony,Dell,Gateway ETC...

If so what is the manufacturers Name and model
number?
Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2006, 08:17:57 AM »
Chances are the front panel can be removed as welll...of course more info since that is what we thrive on here.

patio.  8-)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

PussEKatt

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2006, 11:56:55 AM »
Hi all, and thanks for replying.
I have already fitted a second HDD and memory to my PC so I know how to open a case, I thought the DVD drive would go in the same as the HDD but it wont fit that way ( it is too long ) It looks like I must remove the front bezel ( I didnt know that you could do that )
My case is a Digital Multi Media System.
As for the flap, It is permanently open and yes I can move it open or closed but as I said it is open all the time ( eg horozantal to the cd draw ) so my case is black and the CD ( which you can see inside, because the flap wont close is beige, and this is very annoying ) >:(
Thanks again for all your help, and any other suggestions will be very much appreciated  :) :) :)

soybean

Genius
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2006, 01:37:58 PM »
When you say the drive is too long, I presume you mean it's too long to install from inside the case, not that it's actually too long to fit.  Is that right?

Without removing the entire front panel, you have a cover or plate covering the drive bay where you want to install the DVD drive, right?  Have you removed just the plate?  That should be all you need to remove.  Then, you can insert the drive into the opening and secure it in the drive bay from inside the computer.  

Regarding the flap, I don't know what to tell you.  You may need to replace the drive.  They aren't very expensive.  See this:  SAMSUNG Black 18X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 18X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2M Cache E-IDE/ATAPI DVD Burner - OEM
« Last Edit: October 07, 2006, 01:43:27 PM by soybean »

Raptor

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2006, 03:45:59 PM »
The mainboard might be blocking the DVD player, don't force it or you'll damage the mainboard.

Can we have a name or a picture so we can see for ourselves what you are speaking of?

PussEKatt

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2006, 06:52:29 AM »
Hi all,
 Again thanks for the help.
First off what I mean when I said the drive is too long is that from the inside I can start to get the drive in but to tilt it to get it in all the way the power unit gets in the way, so it looks like I will have to take the front (bezel ) off ( like I said before I didnt know this part came off. Yes I have bent the backing plate inside the drive bay down so the  front of the drive will actually sit on it.I would say the drive part of my question is answered now ( thanks again )
The flap I am talking about works like this.
When you push the button to open the CD a flap opens outwards and the CD draw slides out, ready to put a CD in the tray. After you put a CD in the tray you press the button and the tray with the CD slides back into the case and the flap closes shut.Thats the flap I am talking about.
The flap on my case is permantly open ( horozental ) and I cant see how to fix it.
It *must* be a small spring or a *clip* of some sort that makes the flap spring closed again but I cant figure out how this would be attached.
I asked a guy at a computer repair shop and his advice was, ( Wait for it )
remove the flap and slide the whole CD unit foreward to make it flush with the front of my tower case. ( thanks why didnt I think of that :P )
So my problem is how to fix this flap so that it springs closed when the CD dissapears inside the CD unit. :-?
Thanks again all, i,m sure I will be able to get my DVD burner in now ( from the front ) that just leaves this flap question. :'(

Raptor

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2006, 06:59:50 AM »
You can never put an optical drive in from the back, you always need to remove one of the front 'bezels'.

It's probably a click-on system and it might take some prying to take it off. Just don't force anything otherwise you'll break off one of the clips.

Still, a picture would be handy.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2006, 10:25:35 AM »
Will the flap pivot freely when the tray is in?  If so, and if you manually close it when the tray is in, will it stay up/closed?  

I have a CD-ROM drive with that type of door/flap.  I can see that it has a tiny spring attached at the right end of it.  If that spring broke or came off, clearly, the drive casing would have to be opened to get inside to replace or re-attach the spring.  So, I'd bet you will have to open that drive if you want to fix that flap.  And, obviously, doing this presents some risk of damaging something or not getting the drive properly re-assembled and, therefore, making it unusable.  So, proceed at your own risk.  And, if you successfully open it and find no spring laying lose inside it, you'll have to obtain a spring somewhere.

If you can get you hands on a junk drive somewhere that has this type door, you could take it apart and study it.  Of course, it may be designed differently.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2006, 10:49:16 AM »
Or just buy a USB enclosure and run it as an external...

patio.  8-)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Raptor

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2006, 11:27:24 AM »
This sure is a lot of talk about one case and no one really has an idea of what the case looks like me thinks.  ;D

soybean

Genius
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2006, 11:36:38 AM »
I think the computer case is no longer an issue.  He has figured out how to install the DVD drive by inserting it through the front of the computer.  His remaining issue is whether he can fix the flap/door on the drive.