Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Win 2K Install- Lost Product ID - SOLVED  (Read 2313 times)

Jetfire

Win 2K Install- Lost Product ID - SOLVED
« on: October 09, 2006, 01:24:15 PM »
Hello, everyone. Thank you for trying to help me.

I'm trying to install a copy of Windows 2000 on an older computer. I obtained Win2k through a student service a few years ago; actual CD's weren't offered, the whole program had to been downloaded. Years later, having graduated college, I'm trying to now install that Win2K on a computer in bad need of an OS upgrade, but I can't find the Product ID. I had somehow obtained it and wrote it down, but now can't find the note. I don't know if the service gave it to me, or if I somehow go it from one of the installation files.

I know I'm stupid for losing my notes, but perhaps someone here can help me re-obtain that Product ID. Perhaps there is a program that can pull it out of the installation files?

Anyway, thank you for any help that can be provided, and thank you again for reading this topic and giving it a go!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2006, 02:34:22 PM by Jetfire »

GX1_Man

Re: Win 2K Install- Lost Product ID, how to find i
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 01:40:12 PM »
If it is installed on a machine you can retrieve that number, BUT if all you have is a CD and a blank hard drive you are SOL. Sorry.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 01:42:39 PM »
Here Ya Go

This is if you can still access the HDD that it's installed to...

patio.  8-)

Thanx Rob !
« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 01:47:12 PM by patio »
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Jetfire

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 01:47:27 PM »
If it is installed on a machine you can retrieve that number, BUT if all you have is a CD and a blank hard drive you are SOL. Sorry.

Unfortunately, the latter is my situation. Thanks for the help.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 01:50:59 PM »
Contact the University bookstores in the area if you are still a student...mine was 20bucks.

patio.  8-)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Jetfire

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 12:30:24 AM »
Contact the University bookstores in the area if you are still a student...mine was 20bucks.

patio.  8-)

I'm no longer a student, so I can't access the service anymore. It was a partnership with Microsoft that I'm not even sure exists anymore, hence I can't trying going back to get the ID.

I found a product ID online that someone posted, but of course it wouldn't match the one I'm missing. Does anyone know if I could use that ID without having any problems down the road? Thanks again for taking the time to address this.

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 03:44:10 AM »
It would not be legal according to Microsoft even if it did work. You either need to buy the software from somewhere (eBay?) to get a legal copy or call Microsoft to pay for a license. They will be happy to assist as Win2000 is still a supported product.