Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't reinstall scanner  (Read 4260 times)

mike prior

Can't reinstall scanner
« on: September 18, 2004, 07:19:46 PM »
I have a Sony Vaio with Windows XP Home Edition.  I have a Visioneer OneTouch 6600 USB scanner.  It was working great, then got disconnected and wouldn't work when I reconnected it.  I reconnected it but it wouldn't work.  I tried reinstalling the software but that didn't work.  I checked Visioneer's web site, which said the driver must be uninstalledbefrore reinstalling.  I tried everything it said - go to Add/Remove programs & uninstall.  OK, it's not there.  Remove from Scanner & Cameras.  Nothing there.  Clean the Twain_32 folder & remove PaprPort & Vizscan.  They're not there.  I removed all software that came with the scanner.  I've tried to reinstall both from the original CD and from the driver I downloaded from Visioneer.  It almost completes the install, then I get an error message "This Installer is designed to work on the Visioneer One Touch 6600 Scanner Only".  The only option is to click OK, which closes the install.  I'm trying to install the 6600 but it won't let me because the installer is only for the 6600??   btw, I have tried with the scanner unplugged & plugged, with no luck.  I even tried running an uninstall program from the Visioneer site to remove Paperport.  No help.  I could sure use some advice.

Raptor

Re: Can't reinstall scanner
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2004, 04:04:33 AM »
Have you tried a different USB port?

merlin_2

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2004, 03:09:25 PM »
i had one of those scanners....ok go into the device manager and remove the scanner..unplug it and re-boot...now plug it back in to the port...windows should say found new hardware blah blah..load the software disk..and thats it..

mike prior

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2004, 04:55:10 PM »
Tried every usb port available.  same results.  scanner not listed in device mgr.  i can get to the "new hardware found" message, but when i try to install the software i get the message shown above, saying that the installer is only for the 6600 scanner, which is what i'm trying to install.  clicking ok stops the install.  

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2004, 06:05:49 AM »
Obtain updated drivers from the the manufacturers website?

mike prior

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2004, 11:23:40 PM »
Tried installing from original disk & from latest driver on Visioneer site.  Still get message "This Installer is designed to work on the Visioneer One Touch 6600 Scanner Only".  That's what I'm trying to install!!  This is making me crazy!!

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2004, 05:15:17 AM »
Contact Visioneer Technical Support.

mikeprior

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2004, 07:28:28 PM »
@ $2/minute?  to talk to some guy in india?  cheaper to buy a new scanner

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2004, 07:45:10 PM »
    mike prior....I just had a look at your issue. You say it was ok before it got disconnected .....what exactly do you mean ...... I havent researched to see if that scanner is designed to work with win xp..... Scanners can sometimes be a pain to get working......unless you follow the installation instructions to the letter. For example sometimes the instructions will tell you to have the scanner on or off as the case may be ( and if you didnt) it just wont work . I am not suggesting thats what the directions say, but rather that was just an example. What type of cable are you using ? If your scanner wasnt built for XP...look for some other drivers that will work for xp or visit the scanners website  
    http://www.visioneer-europe.com/support/6600.htm

let us know
    dl65  ::)
    « Last Edit: September 21, 2004, 07:46:16 PM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Raptor

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2004, 01:32:08 AM »
    @ $2/minute?  to talk to some guy in india?  cheaper to buy a new scanner

E-mail? Who phones anyone these days..

MalikTous

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2004, 05:09:05 PM »
    Maybe a bum USB cable? If other USB devices work, try a new cable... Make sure the scanner power cable or brick are not bad. Also is your USB feature in BIOS set to Enabled, Auto, or Disabled? It should be Enabled. The Auto mode tends to disable USB ports not in use at system startup...

mike prior

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2004, 12:33:41 AM »
    The scanner is only a year old, XP certified.  Worked great.  The problem isn't with the usb or power cables.  I never get that far.  The software is supposed to be installed before you plug anything in.  With everything unplugged, when I try to install the driver (from original cd or downloaded latest driver from visioneer) the wise installation wizard starts, then i get a box that says upgrade error, this installer is only for the 6600 scanner.  that's the scanner that i'm trying to install, but it wont let me.  No scanners are shown in Device Mgr, none in my Control Panel, I checked everything that Visioneer says to   remove.  I even went into the registry and deleted anything that said visioneer or onetouch (it's a onetouch 6600 scanner).  When it works I love the scanner - it's fast, does a great job, etc.  It's in perfect condition - but somewhere, some little bit of code won't let me install it.  Someone PLEASE help!

merlin_2

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2004, 01:43:53 AM »
    ok try installing it in safe mode...f8 on boot....unless you sure leave the reg alone?go to winupdates site and download the drivers>http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/stillimage/XP_WIAdrvs.mspx
    « Last Edit: September 25, 2004, 01:55:28 AM by merlin_2 »