Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Backup + restore options  (Read 2870 times)

paulinnorway

Topic Starter

Rookie
    Backup + restore options
    « on: October 09, 2006, 12:36:49 PM »
    Hi,

I'm currently looking at backup+restore options and I was wondering what are the best options out there?

- I need to backup 15 PCs (all Windows XP pro, wireless network)
    - I'd like to create an exact image of each PC's hard drive so that I could later use that image to retore whatever PC needed to be repaired.

I've had a look at some of the commercial software available, and I think Acronis True Image was the best (ahead of Norton Ghost). However, I'd like to have a look at free options first....

At the moment I'm about to try out a free program called DriveImage XML (http://www.runtime.org/dixml.htm). Have any of you used this with any success?

As a separate question, I'd like to ask if it is possible to connect my laptop to each PC separately, and make the PC behave like an external drive. Then I'm thinking I could use a backup program to create an image of my PC and  save it on my laptop. Ideally, I'd love to have 15 images on my laptop, and whenever a PC needed to be repaired I could simply hook up my laptop to it and use a backup/retore program to restore the PC to it's original working state.

Is that even possible? Hopefully some of you have a bit of experience with these kind of things.

Thanks 8-)

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
      • Experience: Expert
      Re: Backup + restore options
      « Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 02:17:45 PM »
      I've tried DriveImageXML and found it didn't come close to Acronis.  With Acronis you can make an image, save it over the network to another location, make a boot CD that will allow you to recover that image from anywhere.  

Thanks to GX1_Man for his endorsement  ;)

In answer to your second question, I don't believe you can do that.  You'd have to use a cross-over cable to connect and then you'd be able to share files/folders/peripherals, but not have it act like an external drive.  Besides, with Acronis you wouldn't need to hook up your laptop to each machine.  Just share a folder on your laptop, create/save the image to that shared folder...you're done  ;D

Alan <><  :D
      I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 02:44:35 PM »
      Norton Save & Restore can do that for you as well.

paulinnorway

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 03:55:02 PM »
        I've tried DriveImageXML and found it didn't come close to Acronis.  With Acronis you can make an image, save it over the network to another location, make a boot CD that will allow you to recover that image from anywhere.  

Thanks to GX1_Man for his endorsement  ;)

In answer to your second question, I don't believe you can do that.  You'd have to use a cross-over cable to connect and then you'd be able to share files/folders/peripherals, but not have it act like an external drive.  Besides, with Acronis you wouldn't need to hook up your laptop to each machine.  Just share a folder on your laptop, create/save the image to that shared folder...you're done  ;D

Alan <><  :D

Did DriveImageXML work ok for you? I'm going to try to complete a full backup and restore tomorrow using it. As long as it does a basic job, then I'm happy. Obviously I'd love to use Acronis because I've read great reviews of it, but if I can use a more basic free program, then that would be preferable.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 11:34:02 PM »
        Acronis is worth the money you will spend on it...especially if you are looking for backup solutions.

As far as the networking solution the easist way would be a USB cable with network support...

patio.  8-)
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

paulinnorway

Topic Starter

Rookie
          « Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 05:49:00 AM »
          Acronis is worth the money you will spend on it...especially if you are looking for backup solutions.

As far as the networking solution the easist way would be a USB cable with network support...

patio.  8-)
          I'm first going to test DriveImageXML and see how I get on. If it's rubbish then I'll probably choose Acronis.

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 06:00:49 AM »
          I think this IS one of the cases where you get what you pay for. Data is too valuable to be playing with a "maybe" solution. At least mine is.  ;)

panboy

Adviser

• Its all just a twisted game of cat and mouse
            « Reply #7 on: October 10, 2006, 06:02:04 AM »
            Norton Ghost Support mapping a network share as a Drive for the purpose of imaging,

So yes , you could have the 15 images in a folder on you lap top, hook up the PC and lap top to a network, and boot a Norton networking Boot disk, and use it to map a drive.

The problem is you may need a Different Network boot Disk/Disks for Each PC as network cards are not as Generic as CD Roms,
            You may be able to do this with Acronis True Image , but i have no Experience whit it,

I have however Done what you want to do using Norton Ghost.

And Yes you Can Use a Networked PC as an External Drive, all you need to do is Share the folder you want to Write to , and allow Write Permissions.
            Wields The Mighty Hammer of Computer Justice

paulinnorway

Topic Starter

Rookie
              « Reply #8 on: October 10, 2006, 07:03:10 AM »
              I think this IS one of the cases where you get what you pay for. Data is too valuable to be playing with a "maybe" solution. At least mine is.  ;)
              I don't keep any of my important data on the 15 computers, so a "maybe" solution is ok with me.
              Besides, if it every goes wrong I can just do a clean Windows install using the original image that came when I bought the PCs.......that shouldn't take too long ;D

I'm 70% through the restore procedure, so my fingers are crossed!! Pleeeeeease make it work ;)
              « Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 07:05:40 AM by paulinnorway »

paulinnorway

Topic Starter

Rookie
                « Reply #9 on: October 10, 2006, 07:28:53 AM »
                I just finished a backup and a restore of one PC using DriveImageXML and it worked fine!! I'm delighted!!
                I think I'm going to use this program until I come across problems. Thanks to everyone who offered their advice and opinions in this thread.....much appreciated ;D

GX1_Man

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2006, 10:27:54 AM »
                Please post back after using it for awhile - one way or the other.

paulinnorway

Topic Starter

Rookie
                  « Reply #11 on: October 10, 2006, 01:57:35 PM »
                  Would you like me to post it in this thread or create another? When would you like the next update.....in one month, two months...?
                  This forum is a great help for me so if I can give a little back then I'm more than happy to do so 8-)

Raptor

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2006, 02:14:26 PM »
                  Would you like me to post it in this thread or create another? When would you like the next update.....in one month, two months...?
                  This forum is a great help for me so if I can give a little back then I'm more than happy to do so 8-)

Whenever you feel ready.  ;)