Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Shutdown after a few seconds on  (Read 3493 times)

phunfoto

Shutdown after a few seconds on
« on: October 11, 2006, 10:23:33 PM »
I have a new ECS 865-M7 v2.0 motherboard and a Intel P4 531+ 3Ghz 800Mhz FSB 1Mb L2 CPU. All else is from previous machine. The first time I turned on the machine I received a code stating the CPU had changed press F1 to Continue DEL to start BIOS setup. I went through several restarts trying to figure out where to set CPU. I finally set BIOS to optimized and the CPU changed message went away. Then it went into a long list verifying DMI or something to that affect. Then shut donw again. I finally got to a screen that said Windows hadn't shut down normally. so I tried Safe Mode and Normal, but computer shut down again. I've tried exchanging the memory. I have two memory "boards" one 256Mb and one 512Mb same brand etc. Still shuts down automaticaly. I finally set just one hard drive and it still shuts down automatically in the middle of booting. Please help.
PS This is my 7th or 8th computer build.
Frustrated in Las Vegas.

Raptor

Re: Shutdown after a few seconds on
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 12:10:30 AM »
Reset your BIOS to default settings, you're most likely overclocking with 'optimized' settings...
« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 12:10:41 AM by Raptor »

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 03:58:11 AM »
An overheating Intel processor will shut down quickly in self defense to prevent damage. Check your CPU/Fan mounting and operation.

phunfoto

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 09:00:07 AM »
It didn't get past new CPU -- change in BIOS when using Default mode. The CPU fan is running and set tight against the CPU anyother thoughts? I tried removing all add-on cards as well and still shuts down. It goes through DMI pool check gets to Widnows didn't shut down properly. I select boot in safe mode it runs for few seconds more then shuts down.

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 01:03:30 PM »
Did you install Windows fresh with this hardware, or is this a hard drive that was loaded in another system?

Tinygnome

Beginner
    « Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 02:55:41 PM »
    correct me if im wrong (i very well could be) dont you have to re-install windows for a new CPU???
    or was that just motherboard or somethign i cant rember.....(so much for the A+ Cert.)
    BBY store 0004

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #6 on: October 12, 2006, 05:33:13 PM »
    What OS is on this machine ? ?

I'm assuming XP so here's the drill when you change major components such as a MBoard and CPu...

Check Here...

patio.  8-)

p.s. I doubt this procedure will work after the fact but you can try...if not you're probably looking at a re-install of XP and re-registering with the Mothership.

Good Luck.
    « Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 05:35:06 PM by patio »
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2006, 05:37:01 PM »
    And a reinstall is not necessarily a bad thing.  ;)

phunfoto

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2006, 01:32:38 AM »
    My bad I recehecked the fan on the CPU and it was not on as tight as I thought it was.  :-[
    First time for using this type of heat sink - fan combo.
    Now I need to repair/reinstall Windows XP Home Ed. The hard drive etc was from an AMD machine.

Thanks all for the help.