Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Compaq Armada laptop - USB not working  (Read 2465 times)

JayE

Compaq Armada laptop - USB not working
« on: October 11, 2006, 07:51:37 AM »
I am not very computer literate, so I apologize ahead of time.  I have an older laptop computer ( Compaq Armanda - Windows 98) that I would like to connect to my cable broadband service when I am traveling, so the family can have access to the internet.  My cabel modem can be accessed by ethernet cable or USB.  The Compaq has a USB port in the back.  However, when I follow the instructions to connect  to the cable broaband sercvice, I cannot get connected inorder to download the software.  According to the cable directions, once connected you click on Internet Explorer and the Cabel web site should appear.  The message I get is that I am not on line.  Perhaps somehting is wrong with the USB.  Any thoughts or suggestions.  Thanks

Jay

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Compaq Armada laptop - USB not working
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 08:13:56 AM »
Unfortunately Win98 did not have very good support for USB as it was relatively new. It probably needs drivers to recognise that device and unfortunately it's possible they don't exist...you're best bet would be Compaq's site followed by the modem manuf. site.

patio.   8-)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

JayE

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 09:13:16 AM »
Thanks, how do I find the modem mfg.  Also, is it possible to purcahse a new modem for the lap top and install myself?  Is this a resonable options?

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 09:29:54 AM »
Do you have a wireless card and a router available? That may be the best choice, rather than hooking up wires and making a laptop not mobile.

You may have everything you need already if you have an ethernet cable and and ethernet port on that computer, if you are willing to settle for a wired connection.

More information would be helpful. Look in the FAW section or do a google search to get networking information. Seems like you need to learn a few key concepts.  ;)

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 10:58:16 AM »
You'll need to insert the driver diskette that you got with the USB modem/network card.

Which is it?