Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: ntldr message  (Read 5537 times)

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
    • Obituary
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: ntldr message
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2006, 03:30:54 AM »
So how is the boot order set in your BIOS.

You ain't busted friend.I was just following your post.

I have 3 forums I frequent. :-? ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 04:11:38 PM by street1 »
Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

cheapkelly

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2006, 05:42:16 PM »
PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am getting so upset and depressed AND PI**ED too!!!!!!!!! LOL I have went back and forth with the stupid bios. With the cd I have tried the cdrom#1, ide0 #2, then floppy. Then, if I try to do a backup disk or bootdisk or whatever, I put floppy first then ide2 (hdd) and cd/dvd as 3. I have tried a million different combination. The MAIN thing that the other forum says is wrong is that when I go to the bios setup and go to reg. setup and put auto in all of the, if I either press f3 or if I press enter after each auto, the hdd comes up user, and I was told its supposed to show auto, NOT user. it does show the hd and the cdrom and floppy, so wha is the deal???????????????????????????????

Not that it matters or not, but I went to my mom's today and found TONS of cd's, disks, etc. my dad had for the computer for the mb, hd, etc. Think I need anything like that reset?? Like I tried to explain in #1, I did manage to put 2000 on there, so I know he memory is ok, the hd is ok, and also the cdrom, so when I erased everything, what happened????

GX1_Man

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2006, 08:43:03 PM »
PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am getting so upset and depressed AND PI**ED too!!!!!!!!! LOL I have went back and forth with the stupid bios. With the cd I have tried the cdrom#1, ide0 #2, then floppy. Then, if I try to do a backup disk or bootdisk or whatever, I put floppy first then ide2 (hdd) and cd/dvd as 3. I have tried a million different combination. The MAIN thing that the other forum says is wrong is that when I go to the bios setup and go to reg. setup and put auto in all of the, if I either press f3 or if I press enter after each auto, the hdd comes up user, and I was told its supposed to show auto, NOT user. it does show the hd and the cdrom and floppy, so wha is the deal???????????????????????????????

Not that it matters or not, but I went to my mom's today and found TONS of cd's, disks, etc. my dad had for the computer for the mb, hd, etc. Think I need anything like that reset?? Like I tried to explain in #1, [highlight]I did manage to put 2000 on there, so I know he memory is ok, the hd is ok, and also the cdrom[/highlight], so when I erased everything, what happened????

So many false assumptions in all of this, and in your earlier posts.  ::)

Start by replacing the CMOS battery, just because. Head on down to Radio Shack or wherever and just give them $5. Besides cheap insurance that this is not an issue, you will set EVERYTHING to defaults, which seems your best chance to have a usable system. What happens now?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2006, 08:47:16 PM by GX1_Man »

cheapkelly

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2006, 11:07:33 PM »
ah, same old thing. NOTHING. I guess I can't assume anything. I plugged and replugged everything so many times. This may be a stupid  ::) question for you, but besides the power, the battery, the drives, what else needs to be plugged in? I don't recall unplugging anything but the ribbon cables, and also the battery, and i did "reset" before by moving the jumper thing on the mb to clear and back again, but is there anything else you think I should check on the mb, or do you think that's not the problem? I do have a digital camera so if you need pics of anything , let me know.

GX1_Man

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2006, 11:16:21 PM »
Start by replacing the CMOS battery, just because. Head on down to Radio Shack or wherever and just give them $5. Besides cheap insurance that this is not an issue, you will set EVERYTHING to defaults, which seems your best chance to have a usable system.

You have already obtained a new battery and inserted it in the last 3 hours? It's after midnight here. Where do you live?  ::) What number battery was it?

Sorry, but you have to do your part. We are rapidly approaching the point where I say "Take it to a shop".  
« Last Edit: October 07, 2006, 11:18:18 PM by GX1_Man »

cheapkelly

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2006, 11:27:44 PM »
We had a battery already . It's the same exact kind my dog's collar uses for the invisable fence, and we got a 2 pack last time it started beeping, which was about a month or so ago. That's how I got it so quickly!!!!! And yes, it's 1:26 here in cold Michigan. lol

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• Obituary
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2006, 02:06:47 AM »
My last ditched effort would be.......Remove the sound card and modem
and try only one stick of ram if you have more than one.

Physically remove the  modem and sound card install without the modem and sound card in the computer.It is as if you have an IRQ conflict while trying the
fresh install.

The manufacturer Name and model number can help us in some cses.

For example if you had a Compaq.....It would in some cases need a Rompaq
file that is installed on the beginning of you hard drive to work with the CMOS/BIOS to enable functionality.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2006, 04:33:08 AM by street1 »
Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

cheapkelly

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2006, 08:29:09 AM »
hhhmmm, don't even know where that is. Didn't I warn this group I'm a total beginner on this stuff????????is there a pic somewhere on where this is located at and what it looks like/? As for the ram I do only have one of them in there.

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• Obituary
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2006, 03:47:29 AM »
Start by replacing the CMOS battery, just because. Head on down to Radio Shack or wherever and just give them $5. Besides cheap insurance that this is not an issue, you will set EVERYTHING to defaults, which seems your best chance to have a usable system.

You have already obtained a new battery and inserted it in the last 3 hours? It's after midnight here. Where do you live?  ::) What number battery was it?

Sorry, but you have to do your part. We are rapidly approaching the point where I say "Take it to a shop".  

Yes, change that CMOS battery just because.Good idea GX1_Man.

Raptor

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2006, 10:32:08 AM »
hhhmmm, don't even know where that is. Didn't I warn this group I'm a total beginner on this stuff????????is there a pic somewhere on where this is located at and what it looks like/? As for the ram I do only have one of them in there.

Take it to a store.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2006, 11:31:35 AM »
put in the floppy, and turned back on, and NOTHING. Told you I have everybody stumped

Not exactly...but with evasive answers to everyone's advice you have managed to go around in circles for quite some time here...

patio.   8-)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2006, 02:50:49 AM »
My 2c worth...

The bootdisk you downloaded - did you extract it or just copy it to the floppy?  

What you downloaded from bootdisk.com is not a true bootdisk but a self-extracting disk image.  You should download the file "Windows 98se Custom No Ramdrive" to your hard disk then browse to the file BOOT98SC.EXE and click on it.  A true bootdisk will be created on the floppy you are prompted to insert in A:.  

Insert this true bootdisk in the pc with defective OS and boot from it.  As part of the boot process a cdrom driver named Banana with a drive letter of R: will be installed.

With the WIN OS cd inserted in the cdrom -

At the A: prompt type

R:\setup <enter> and follow the on-screen prompts.

Good luck
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 02:51:53 AM by Dusty »
One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.