Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 2003 blocking older clients with smb signing  (Read 1972 times)

IT-Guy

2003 blocking older clients with smb signing
« on: October 12, 2006, 05:53:47 AM »
Is there anyone who may have found a way around Microsoft's ingenius idea of blocking older clients from connecting to a 2003 domain?  Until now, I have always created a scripted boot disk to deploy windows to my clients.  This is simply a WIN98 boot disk with a batch file to authenticate and download the client software.  Now that microsoft has decided to block this "Security risk", I'm left to discover a new means of deploying the client.  My client desktops do not have cdroms, so my only choice is SYSPREP and RIS, or by using a floppy.  Unfortunately, the domain admins are not ready to use RIS.  So they leave me the choice of using a floppy.  If anyone should know what I'm talking about, Please, I'm all ears.   :-?

Thanks.

panboy

Adviser

• Its all just a twisted game of cat and mouse
    Re: 2003 blocking older clients with smb signing
    « Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 06:00:27 AM »
    The domain has to be set up in Mixed Mode when you first set it up, you can not change to mixed mode after Setting up the domain.
    Wields The Mighty Hammer of Computer Justice

IT-Guy

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 10:32:16 AM »
    Thank you for your suggestion.  Because I have this issue, the domain must not be in Mixed mode.  Anyone else have any ideas of how to go about deploying windows?  I am still working to find a way to use an XP boot disk which is suppose to have the necessary security files.  Anyone?

panboy

Adviser

• Its all just a twisted game of cat and mouse
      « Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 09:46:59 AM »
      ok I'm a Little confused,

You want to put win 98 computers on the Domain, So you made it Native mode?
      Thats does not Compute.

Can you Try to Explain Exactly what it is you are trying to accomplish?

If you are simply trying to install windows on the computer , you could set up one of the windows Server as a Network Boot Host , and the Create a Network Boot CD for Each client Computer. Then you would be able to install of the network.

IF you want to do this i could look up the specifics for you, Ive only done that in collage.

Or you could make a Norton Boot CD, and copy an Image off the network or course you need to make an image first.
      Wields The Mighty Hammer of Computer Justice