Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Buffers when trying to run old games  (Read 2648 times)

jumper1986

Buffers when trying to run old games
« on: October 11, 2006, 02:39:02 PM »
Hi all.

Bit of a rookie when it comes to computers and im having trouble installing and running XCOM APOC. The only problem it states is my number of files and buffers is diagnosed by the install program as 40/0 when it needs to be 20/20. It suggests editing my config.sys file as required but the config.sys has no text in it whatsoever.

How may i change the files and buffer numbers or is there something else i have to do?

The game runs through MS-DOS but i have windows XP home edition.

any further info required just ask as i dont know what is important.

Hoping someone can help me get back to my retro gaming. Thanks

soSagtDieHex

Re: Buffers when trying to run old games
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 03:49:18 PM »
Hi all.

im having trouble installing and running XCOM APOC. The only problem it states is my number of files and buffers is diagnosed by the install program as 40/0 when it needs to be 20/20. It suggests editing my config.sys file as required but the config.sys has no text in it whatsoever.

How may i change the files and buffer numbers or is there something else i have to do?

The game runs through MS-DOS but i have windows XP home edition.

I have no idea about xcom apoc, but I do have a general idea of your problem.

It lies with WinXP when it comes to running dos programs. As you noticed config.sys just can't be edited. There's
%SystemRoot%\SYSTEM32\CONFIG.NT
there instead, but there's little hope that messing with it is going to make it.
Same goes for WinXP compatibility mode, available from the program's properties tag : it works if ever for Win9x applications, not for dos ones.

The best solution to this known issue, which really affects every dos programs, games etc. is imho to use an emulator like DosBox.
This tool creates a complete virtual dos environment within windows (no need to reboot, or special tricks) one that you can launch and then use to install and run any dos programs you want.
Well, almost. Not all applications are supported.
Go here for further details
http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1
and don't be too afraid, for a rookie you may well be, but these things aren't so hard to work out after all  :)

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 03:55:47 PM »
DOUBLE POST

Really, only one is necessary and more than that can be confusing to all. Do you want me to lock this one or the other?

jumper1986

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 03:58:21 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately i dont think my system would have a hope with DOsbox. just like the games im trying to run its a little bit old. 500Mhz pentium 3. the infuriating thing is im sure ive played this game on this machine previously but it was uninstalled by my brother when he was cleaning the computer. (hes much more clued up than me).

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 04:02:47 PM »
Call your brother and ask him how he had it originally configured...

patio.  8-)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 04:11:41 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately i dont think my system would have a hope with DOsbox. just like the games im trying to run its a little bit old. 500Mhz pentium 3. the infuriating thing is im sure ive played this game on this machine previously but it was uninstalled by my brother when he was cleaning the computer. (hes much more clued up than me).

Create a dual boot with Windows 98 and Windows XP.

soSagtDieHex

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006, 04:13:39 PM »

Unfortunately i dont think my system would have a hope with DOsbox. just like the games im trying to run its a little bit old. 500Mhz pentium 3

yes, I guess P3 @500 MHz may make things real slow in dosbox :(

another chance is using VDMSound (soundcard emulator for WinXP, and it sure doesn't have so high hw demands as dosbox does) to start configuring sound setup and then.. see if it gets started anyway without dosbox  8-)

EDIT :
raptor wrote >Create a dual boot with Windows 98 and Windows XP<

yeah, but I'm afraid installing Win9x after (or if you prefer, over) a WinXP installation is far from being a simple task...  :-/

EDIT #2 :

hey, jumper1986, have you seen this
http://home.comcast.net/~tom_forsyth/xcom_apoc/how_to_get_xcom_apoc_running_under_winxp.html
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 04:20:52 PM by soSagtDieHex »

jumper1986

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006, 10:03:51 PM »
hey thanks for that link. makes it work perfectly. :)

well not perfectly, it just crashed but with saving i'll be able to cope. :)

Thanks for that link!!