Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: virus detectors not working  (Read 5791 times)

Titan01

Topic Starter

Beginner
    virus detectors not working
    « on: October 12, 2006, 10:29:22 AM »
    Everytime I run AVG free it cuts off at the end without removing the viruses.
    I assume it's because of a virus attacking the program because it's happening to all my V tools except for Ad-aware and Spybot S&D.
    How can I stop this?

unlovedwarrior

Guru

• someday this name will be known
      Re: virus detectors not working
      « Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 10:33:08 AM »
      hello and welcome  

hi    

first im guessing your os is xp home.. if so is it fully updated??    

go here    

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1134123580    

dl    
      ewido(avg anti-spyware)  

AVG Free(if you dont already have an antivirus)

stinger(good for catching certain infections, but its updated daily so you need to redl it each time you want to use it )

adaware    

spybot    

Ccleaner    

windows defender    

update them    

use Ccleaner to empty your junk from temp files just open and run scan, also run the issues scan it cleans your register up a bit. make sure to back up when it asks you to  

then do full scans with ewido adaware spybot windows defender and your antivirus  in safe mode (rapidly tap f8 before windows loads go to safe mode the very top one) and with system restore turned off ( right click my computer go to properties click system restore tab check box that says turn off system restore)    

then reboot back into normal and report back    

if you dont have a firewall already then dl zonalarm free from the site i gave    

if your having pop up problems and this might be good to dl and install anyway  

(for the pop up problem go here    
      http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1147665297

and dl host secure)

unlovedwarrior
      « Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 10:34:29 AM by unlovedwarrior »

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 01:06:39 PM »
      Perhaps a little more detailed history would be helpful?

Run the kill.

unlovedwarrior

Guru

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 01:22:36 PM »

[highlight]Run the kill[/highlight].

whats that mean???

unlovedwarrior

Guru

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 01:23:18 PM »
          I assume it's because of a virus attacking the program because it's happening to all my V tools except for Ad-aware and Spybot S&D.
          How can I stop this?

check the virus vault

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 02:55:02 PM »

whats that mean???

Didn't I tell you about that special feeling yet? Tell your friends to Run The Kill immediatly!

unlovedwarrior

Guru

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2006, 03:05:12 PM »

whats that mean???

Didn't I tell you about that special feeling yet? Tell your friends to Run The Kill immediatly!

no ones told me anything about that

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #7 on: October 12, 2006, 06:10:05 PM »

whats that mean???

no ones told me anything about that

Trust Me...they will.
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #8 on: October 12, 2006, 06:12:39 PM »
            How can I stop this?

What is meant here by it cutting off at the end ? ?
            Your post needs more details as to what is happening.
            And keep in mind there are all types of malware out there no one program gets them all.

So with possibly more info we will be able to fix you up.

patio.  8-)
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Titan01

Topic Starter

Beginner
              « Reply #9 on: October 13, 2006, 03:33:38 PM »
              I mean after ewido finishes scanning it shuts off without permission, failing to rid the 20 or so viruses it finds. There's no message or anything, the program just closes.
              I'm not really sure what other info I can give you but I'll list as much as I can.

I noticed it after contracting a virus called quake, and then running the detectors to kill it, but after looking it up I saw that it only sends out phony virus threat messages, so I imagine it must be something else.

windows XP
              home
              v 20002
              service pack 2
              packard bell
              intel (R)
              celeron(R) CPU 2.93Ghz
              2.93 ghz, 192 mb ram
              phys address extension

I've tried the recommended detectors on this forum, zone alram gives me a bunch of error messages then dosent install, spybot S&D and Ad-aware never seem to do anything anyway, one version of Ewido freezes before starting, and the other does as I said already, shuts off on its own. I have a firewall (also recomended from this site, forgot name) that never seems to do anything either.
              I tried running in safe mode, but when it gets to the desktop nothing comes up, it just stays on a black background screen with no task bar or icons. A similiar thing happens when I start up normally, except after about ten minuets of nothing everything starts loading - for the record the PC takes about 5 minuets to start normally without the interference, so now it's around 15 mins.
              It takes longer to open anything new, even opening My Computer takes a good while, not to mention every now and again the PC just temporarily freezes up for no reason, like it's full of tasks. And usually the light on the box is flickering when I'm not doing anything.
              Another thing is that I'd get messages saying 'windows is low on virtual memory' shortly after I'm taken to a blue screen and forced to restart.
              And sometimes the internet will stop working for no reason at all.

That's what I can think of. If I missed out on something ask and I'll answer as best I can.

Raptor

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2006, 04:59:04 PM »
              Time for a reformat.

Fed

• Sage
                • Experience: Experienced
                « Reply #11 on: October 13, 2006, 05:20:32 PM »
                If you don't wish to reformat (BTW, it will fix everything) then you should really try to get into safe mode and run all the scans.
                Are you giving safe mode a long time to load?
                I know it makes no sense but safe mode takes a long time when compared to a normal boot, it should be faster with very little to load but for some reason (Bill Gates) it seems to take forever.

Titan01

Topic Starter

Beginner
                  « Reply #12 on: October 13, 2006, 06:15:47 PM »
                  I left safemode on while I watched Return of the King, I assume that's long enough.

Safemode usually comes on very quick for me, right up the point in question. It's only after I ran Ewido in safe mode to get rid of this problem that safe mode stopped working. I had to cancel that scan for eBay related business.
                  Actually it was after that, that I started getting the blue screen error.
                  There's also this icon in my lower right corner of my screen (in the quick tools tab), it's shaped like a traffic light, but black with two red dots, holding the mouse over it, it says 'com3 disconnected', I assume this is quake trying to trick me again.
                  Kind of annoying, I told my dad to ignore all the virus messages and he calls me in everytime. Caught him actually trying to download the software they recommended. Then after I told him the virus detectors they were offering are fake, he assumed I meant 'the virus detectors are fake' and tried to delete them all off the PC :o

I suppose I'll have to reformat. I'll have to buy 123 gigs worth of 4 gig rewritable CDs first though. Or would that just spread the virus.

Thanks for the help :)

Fed

• Sage
                    • Experience: Experienced
                    « Reply #13 on: October 13, 2006, 06:29:57 PM »
                    With 123 GBs of stuff to back up then this is surely worth the effort to clean it up, or at least try.

First go to the following link and follow the directions there for Smitfraudfix.
                    http://siri.geekstogo.com/SmitfraudFix.php

Then come back here for further cleaning.

unlovedwarrior

Guru

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2006, 12:15:50 AM »
                      I left safemode on while I watched Return of the King, I assume that's long enough.

Safemode usually comes on very quick for me, right up the point in question. It's only after I ran Ewido in safe mode to get rid of this problem that safe mode stopped working. I had to cancel that scan for eBay related business.
                      Actually it was after that, that I started getting the blue screen error.
                      There's also this icon in my lower right corner of my screen (in the quick tools tab), it's shaped like a traffic light, but black with two red dots, holding the mouse over it, it says 'com3 disconnected', I assume this is quake trying to trick me again.
                      Kind of annoying, I told my dad to ignore all the virus messages and he calls me in everytime. Caught him actually trying to download the software they recommended. Then after I told him the virus detectors they were offering are fake, he assumed I meant 'the virus detectors are fake' and tried to delete them all off the PC :o

I suppose I'll have to reformat. I'll have to buy 123 gigs worth of 4 gig rewritable CDs first though. Or would that just spread the virus.

Thanks for the help :)

thats rough :o