Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I need help with Netscape 7.1 browser  (Read 2902 times)

ewdbills

I need help with Netscape 7.1 browser
« on: October 12, 2006, 08:26:25 AM »
  :-?Does anyone know how to prevent others (especially the kids) from deleting the history & block chat, im & e-mail with MySpace under the Netscape 7.1 browser? Our teenage kids have figured out that they can go on Netscape to get around our parental controls. We aren't wanting to prevent them from accessing MySpace, but we do not want them to have a MySpace account. Also, they have been able to create e-mail accounts without our permission with Yahoo, etc. We have on the main computer IE, ATT browser & Netscape.  Parental controls have helped with these 4 issues on IE & ATT, but Netscape is not supported with the content & block features of IE.  The computer they log onto is a Gateway, Windows XP & DSL. I don't want to uninstall Netscape, because I use their feature of the master password to manage all our usernames & passwords to pay our bills online.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 08:27:22 AM by ewdbills »

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: I need help with Netscape 7.1 browser
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 09:42:02 AM »
I don't know for sure but I'm thinking you might be able to block the kids from using Netscape by setting up limited user account in Windows.  I know a limited user cannot install programs but, again, I'm not sure whether they can be blocked from using certain programs that were installed by an adminstrative user.  Perhaps you should see this: Applying the Principle of Least Privilege to User Accounts on Windows XP.

If they can not be blocked from using Netscape via a limited user account, then I think I would uninstall Netscape and figure out some other way to manage your passwords, using IE or another browser that does not cause the same issue as Netscape.  And, put a password on the adminstrative account so that the kids can not logon as an administrative user and install software.  They must use a limited user account.

Raptor

Re: I need help with Netscape 7.1 browser
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 11:36:15 AM »
Norman has got a virus scanner that can also be used as a parental control device. Obviously, it's security is much higher than that of any standard Windows setting or browser.