Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Deleting a partition and reinstalling is not worki  (Read 2746 times)

Enkidu311

Deleting a partition and reinstalling is not worki
« on: October 12, 2006, 11:03:15 PM »
My problem is much like the LoneSniper (if that's spelled correctly). I have a Dell Dimension 3000. I recently downloaded a nasty Trojan through MSN Messenger that read "I have pics of us, would you like it on Myspace or Facebook." I tried reinstalling xp and things have gotten worse. When booting only my wallpaper appears and the icons flash on the screen for about three seconds. After that it goes to the BLUE SCREEN of death and says..............

-Problem detected windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. and begins dumping physical memory.-

I put in my Reinstall CD provided by Dell which is the XP Service Pack 2 cd. And like the LoneSniper I get nothing out of my computer, even after checking BIOS.

SSSOOO! I went into Safe mode with Command prompt and tried to delete the partition, which I apparently have three of using some advice I gained from Microsoft TechNet. It will not let me delete the partition, any partition, even after I select it  and type delete partitionn.

Any suggestions? I have 2 friends majoring in IT and both can pull off Linux and C+++ but they both are stumped with this one; as am I.

Raptor

Re: Deleting a partition and reinstalling is not w
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 12:06:19 AM »
I get nothing out of my computer

You get 'nothing' of your computer? Clarify, please.

viking

Adviser
  • miaow-miaow 2.0 for networks
    « Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 12:33:20 AM »
    To delete the partition you have to boot your computer with a bootable cd (like that with windows on it). Your reinstall cd... It is a windows, a complete windows kit or just the update Service Pack2? What about Dell's manuals of reinstalling the Windows?

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 03:50:57 AM »
    Or the Dell support site, if that is really a "stumper".

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums?category.id=dimension