Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Not Picking up USB Flash Drive  (Read 7694 times)

dsgmama

Not Picking up USB Flash Drive
« on: October 13, 2006, 11:30:29 AM »
My Flash Drive was working perfectly fine yesterday when I used it for my research paper. Today I went to plug it into my computer and instead of getting a solid red light, my light blinks very faintly. I tried using it on my mother's computer and it did the same thing. Both computers are XP and I noticed on her computer where the port would recognize that the driver was installed but when entering "My Computer" it will show that the port is available until you try to open it, in which case an error box pops up stating to insert a device into the port. Is something loose or is did my Flash Drive malfunctioned and died on me? Better yet, is there anyway that I can retrieve my projects off my Flash Drive (I need them for my college courses). If you have any information please don't hesitate to contact me. Thank you in advance!!

Raptor

Re: Not Picking up USB Flash Drive
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 02:30:39 PM »
Are you using them on USB 2.0 (Hi-speed) ports?

It seems like the flash drive is dying, did you drop or otherwise crush it?

dsgmama

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2006, 01:46:43 PM »
Not that I know of... It's about 2 years old though and I do keep it on my key chain so that I don't lose it (again). Do you know if there is any way that I can retrieve any of the information cause it holds all of my presentations for my Business classes...? :-?

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2006, 02:50:46 PM »
A data recovery company might be able to do it for you, but it's going to be costly if it's even possible.

dsgmama

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2006, 03:12:44 PM »
CRAPOLIA!! Well I guess I better start trying to relocate my info and reconstruct my presentation all over again... Thanks for your help...  :-[ If ya hear of something cheaper lemme know...
« Last Edit: October 15, 2006, 03:24:55 PM by dsgmama »

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2006, 03:15:04 PM »
Are you sure you've used it on PCs that were able to supply the USB port with enough power?

You need at least USB 2.0 Hispeed and it is best to use the USB ports directly attached to the motherboard. Make certain no other USB devices are attached to any USB ports and try again.

dsgmama

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2006, 03:27:12 PM »
Well I've always used it on my computer for as long as I have had both (my computer is older than my TD) but lately my mom's computer has been giving me messages stating that there is not enough memory space on the Local Drive, but that wouldn't affect my TD on my computer too would it?

Raptor

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2006, 03:36:31 PM »
Well I've always used it on my computer for as long as I have had both (my computer is older than my TD) but lately my mom's computer has been giving me messages stating that there is not enough memory space on the Local Drive, but that wouldn't affect my TD on my computer too would it?

Not unless you get the same message. Did you scan for viruses on both machines to be on the safe side?

You should still try to do as I said if you haven't allready.

dsgmama

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2006, 11:47:43 PM »
Well mine is strictly offline, so I don't have a virus scan on it, while Mama's has the internet connect and has been scanned. I don't know how to directly attached them to the motherboard, but there are 2 USB ports on the front of the tower and then an additional four in the back. I have always use the front ports, but how they are attached to the MB I dunno... any other ideas?

Raptor

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2006, 04:04:43 AM »
Use the ones on the back.  ;)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2006, 06:21:49 AM »
And in regards to Mom's machine it sounds like she needs to do some housekeeping, back up some data and free up some space on that Hard drive or she will start having problems keeping that machine runing...

patio.  8-)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

dsgmama

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2006, 01:05:27 PM »
Ok I tried the ones in the back and it had a stronger light but it still blinked out. The computer still found the device but it can't read anything from it (I get the "new device found" message but when I try to open it, I get "Please insert hardware"). I'm gonna try it tomorrow up at the college and see if I can get any better luck... til then I'm putting my stuff on my back up 128TD

As for Mama's computer... YES it does need some cleaning up but she doesn't know how and my brother thinks that he knows it all and tried to fix it up while he was home on R&R (he's in the army) but my sisters have done something to it since he left...

Thanks for all the help... :-/

Raptor

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2006, 02:10:03 PM »
Ok I tried the ones in the back and it had a stronger light but it still blinked out. The computer still found the device but it can't read anything from it (I get the "new device found" message but when I try to open it, I get "Please insert hardware"). I'm gonna try it tomorrow up at the college and see if I can get any better luck... til then I'm putting my stuff on my back up 128TD

If that made the light grow back stronger, you might want to try connecting it to a powered USB hub but I think the experimenting ends there, if that doesn't cut it, I'm out of ideas.

dsgmama

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2006, 11:24:09 PM »
Well I guess I could try that.... hopefully I'll be able to figure out something if it doesn't work... Thanks for hanging in there with me though I appreciate it.

Raptor

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2006, 05:11:37 AM »
No problem, let us know if you ever get it back to work.  ;)