Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Sound card  (Read 1925 times)

bayern

Sound card
« on: October 11, 2006, 02:29:13 AM »
I am putting in a new cd burner in my comp, there is a sound out put wire, according to the manual, I should plug it to the sound card, but what is it for ? The old cd-rom was working just fine without this wire plug into the sound card.

GX1_Man

Re: Sound card
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 04:07:11 AM »
You do not need this on a newer computer. Just a leftover from the past before PCI based sound.  ;)

panboy

Adviser

• Its all just a twisted game of cat and mouse
    « Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 09:44:37 AM »
    It used to allow for your CD Rom to Out Put Decoded Sound, with out your Computer Having to Bother processing it.

It Sent sound Straight to the Speakers.
    Wields The Mighty Hammer of Computer Justice

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 10:55:23 AM »
    You do not need this on a newer computer. Just a leftover from the past before PCI based sound.  ;)

I thought it was the Pre-Windows XP period.. Windows XP doesn't need the audio cable, but Windows 98 and the like do?

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 01:03:52 PM »
    I've had Win98 machines that did not need the cable IF they had PCI sound cards.

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 03:38:00 PM »
    Ah, so it's a myth!

bayern

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 08:56:58 PM »
    So it's pretty useless? Oh, on the cd drive, it also has a digital out slot, do I need a different sound card or something to use it or it's another useless slot?
    I am puzzled, doesn't digital sound also gp through a D/A converter in order to play on the speakers?

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2006, 09:03:39 PM »
    Leave the cable off and play a CD, play a game, etc. and see what happens.