Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Tedious Gameplay, Probably Adware related  (Read 3003 times)

gilmore

Tedious Gameplay, Probably Adware related
« on: October 14, 2006, 03:00:32 AM »
On my other computer, the one (conveniently) without internet access, I have found that playing any sort of game (or running any program for that matter) tedious at best.

I'll be playing a game, let's say Diablo II, and I'll have no other programs running, and at seemingly random points the game will minimize itself, leaving me to stare at the desktop.

Sometimes it does it once, sometimes I have to ALT-Tab it a few times before it stays open again.

This happens several times, regardless of how long I play, and seems fairly erratic.

The one thing I've noticed which might help is that sometimes, if I hit ALT-Tab at the right time, it won't automatically go to the game like you'd expect, since it is the only program running.

It will give me a choice of switching to the game I've been playing, or this suspicious Internet Explorer window that is invisible otherwise.

I virus scanned, but all my virus scanners are out of date, I also tried disabling IE by moving the program file, and putting the .dll in a seperate directory (which i wasn't sure would work) because I figured if there was no internet explorer, it couldn't try to open itself.

I was wrong.

I dunno how to fix it, and the afflicted PC has no internet connection, but if there's something I can download, burn onto a CD, and put on that computer that could fix it, I would greatly appreciate any help someone could offer, though the likelihood of my Disc drive reading a cd is about 50%.

The computer is question is currently running Windows XP, which I can't honestly remember whether it was bootlegged or not as I didn't install it, the PC also has two 20gig hard drives with limited space, and outdated spyware, adware, and virus protections. If further specs are required, I'll get out a pen and pad and start writing them down.

This isn't a crippling computer issue, but I'd sure like to be able to play Roller Coaster Tycoon without having to become intimate with ALT-Tab.

unlovedwarrior

Guru

• someday this name will be known
    Re: Tedious Gameplay, Probably Adware related
    « Reply #1 on: October 14, 2006, 03:26:29 AM »
    hello and welcome    

hi    

first im guessing your os is xp home.. if so is it fully updated??    

go here    

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1134123580    

dl      
    ewido(avg anti-spyware)  

AVG Free(if you dont already have an antivirus)  

stinger(good for catching certain infections, but its updated daily so you need to redl it each time you want to use it )  

adaware    

spybot    

Ccleaner    

windows defender    

update them      

use Ccleaner to empty your junk from temp files just open and run scan, also run the issues scan it cleans your register up a bit. make sure to back up when it asks you to  

then do full scans with ewido adaware spybot windows defender and your antivirus  in safe mode (rapidly tap f8 before windows loads go to safe mode the very top one) and with system restore turned off ( right click my computer go to properties click system restore tab check box that says turn off system restore)    

then reboot back into normal and report back    

if you dont have a firewall already then dl zonalarm free from the site i gave    

if your having pop up problems and this might be good to dl and install anyway    

(for the pop up problem go here    
    http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1147665297

and dl host secure)

when did it start happening??

what protections do you have??

when was the last time it was connnected to the net??

can you connect ti to the internet??

what did you do before this started happening?? install something?? dl something??

unlovedwarrior

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2006, 06:01:05 AM »
    A machine with a probable bootleg XP, not updated and having problems is not surprising at all. This needs to be remedied first.

If you can't remember if it was a bootleg copy, your chances are 100% that it is. You can take it to a friends house that has internet and hook it up and go to Microsoft update. You'll find out soon enough.

If it works, you need the updates and functional programs and their updates to solve any malware issues.

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2006, 09:46:45 AM »
    I virus scanned, but all my virus scanners are out of date, I also tried disabling IE by moving the program file, and putting the .dll in a seperate directory (which i wasn't sure would work) because I figured if there was no internet explorer, it couldn't try to open itself.

What did you hope to achieve by doing that?

You should update ALL your drivers and also install Service pack 2 with the latest updates.

Ofcourse, updating your virus scanners must be done as well.