Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: failed to connect message- Verizon  (Read 3373 times)

allen3319

failed to connect message- Verizon
« on: October 18, 2006, 04:08:33 PM »
Recently, when I first start my computer and go to my e-mail at Thunderbird, I frequently get the message "failed to connect to server  incoming.verizon.net." If I go to Firefox and than back to Thunderbird, it works.

I have changed Zone Alarm from High to Medium and that works, too, but I am concerned about the safety of that. The local area connection on the task bar shows that it is connected.

When I check my account at Verizon it shows that "incoming.verizon.net is my incoming connection.

Does anybody have the answer to this or a comment about the safety of Zone Alarm on the medium setting?

Thanks.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 04:09:39 PM by allen3319 »

Raptor

Re: failed to connect message- Verizon
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 04:17:59 PM »
I haven't used ZoneAlarm for a while, can you make a screenshot of the high/medium setting and post it here for me?

allen3319

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 04:09:01 PM »
I tried to print screen at the ZA Alarm site by pressing Alt and Print Screen at the same time and separately, but nothing happened.

So here is the information I have copied:

"Internet Zone Security

High - Stealth mode.  Your computer is hidden and protected from hackers. Sharing is not allowed. This setting is recommended for the Internet Zone.

Medium - Visible but protected mode.  Computer can see your computer but cannot share its resources.  Incoming Net BIOS is blocked.  This setting is recommended for temporary use in the Internet Zone."

I don't understand why I am having this problem because I didn't have it a week ago.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

chriscool9

Apprentice

• Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 04:39:34 PM »
    Just for future refrence buddy to do a printscreen jsut simply press PrtSc, no other buttons are needed to make one, just that one. Also did you make any changes to the firewall that could be blocking Thunderbird?! Weried how it would work second time though.

Chris

99 Problems and London's one of them

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 06:50:59 PM »
      Alt + Print Screen only opens the active screen instead of the whole screen which is ideal for showing in here.
      But... it loads the active screen into RAM then you have to open a paint program and then paste it in. It's the same with the whole screen.
      Then save the file & upload it for display in here.

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2006, 05:32:42 AM »
      I tried to print screen at the ZA Alarm site by pressing Alt and Print Screen at the same time and separately, but nothing happened.

So here is the information I have copied:

"Internet Zone Security

High - Stealth mode.  Your computer is hidden and protected from hackers. Sharing is not allowed. This setting is recommended for the Internet Zone.

Medium - Visible but protected mode.  Computer can see your computer but cannot share its resources.  Incoming Net BIOS is blocked.  This setting is recommended for temporary use in the Internet Zone."

I don't understand why I am having this problem because I didn't have it a week ago.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Are you connected to the Internet through a router?