Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Add a photo in the navigation frame  (Read 3716 times)

Kelly

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• What I would look like if I lived in South Park
    Add a photo in the navigation frame
    « on: October 15, 2006, 09:13:40 PM »
    Hi

I can add a photo to the nav area, however it reveals only the top 3 inches of the photo in this rectangular frame. I would like to use it as a background in that area (it is a photo of my city downtown)

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

Raptor

Re: Add a photo in the navigation frame
    « Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 04:14:41 AM »
    You want to use the picture as a background in one of the frames? You can simply use the background tag if I remember correctly..

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 10:28:24 AM »
    Kelly - a link to the page would be helpful (as ever ;) ).  There are quite a few different ways of achieving this.

You're not still using FrontPage are you?

;)
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Kelly

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 06:44:25 PM »
       :-[ yeah I'm still using FrontPage, but upgraded to 2003  :D

Thanks for looking.
      I want the picture squeezed into the nav. area. (behind the tabs)

Here is a link:

http://www.techtogo.ca

Kelly
      « Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 07:04:44 PM by marshallkel »

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
        • Me
      « Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 03:14:52 AM »
      Gotcha.

<predictable lecture>
      Using FrontPage makes it a little tricky...  Serious web design works best in code form.
      </predictable lecture>

You need to have a look at your web site in Firefox; the tabs are misaligned, overlapping the black text banner.  Remember not to design for just one browser - Firefox's market share has increased significantly, and Opera is also nipping at Internet Explorer's heels.

Anyway, to your problem.  My preferred method for adding a background is to use CSS - this behaviour is compatible with all current browsers including IE6.  To use one background for a section, use div tags for that section, thus:

Code: [Select]
      <div style='background-image:url("/images/myimage.jpg");'>
      Put whatever you want here.
      </div>

Read a bit more about the CSS for backgrounds >here<

Kelly

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 10:05:59 AM »
        Thanks Rob, I will try it and post my results.

I did try NVU for a short bit. but we weren't compatible ;)

and I do understand the Front Page Boos' .

Could you recommend a good teaching book about code. And what code do you recommend for beginners

And until I get the code figured out, would it look okay to have a "home" page that gives a few browsers to choose from that the viewer uses that opens to pages that look good in that browser.

Are you still with me?
         :)

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
          • Me
        « Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 02:10:48 PM »
        I did try NVU for a short bit. but we weren't compatible ;)
        Ha ha!

and I do understand the Front Page Boos' .
        Attagirl.

Could you recommend a good teaching book about code. And what code do you recommend for beginners
        I think that Sams' Teach Yourself HTML or something like that would be a good place to start - then you would find NVu or even Notepad++ made more sense.  But I do accept that not everyone's mind works that way.  :)

And until I get the code figured out, would it look okay to have a "home" page that gives a few browsers to choose from that the viewer uses that opens to pages that look good in that browser.
        You could... you could even use a bit of javascript or server-side scripting to re-direct to a different page/folder tree according to the browser in use, but that's a lot more cumbersome than simply getting the page right in the first place by using a standards-compliant web editor.  Bear in mind that if your advertising an I.T. business, your web site visitors will have certain expectations.  Your web site should really be above average and work well for the vast majority of visitors.

Kelly, if ever the budget would stretch to Dreamweaver, I think you'd get on much better with that.  It provides the WYSIWYG editor that you prefer, but creates much better code.  Any version from 2 onwards would be fine for your purposes - you could pick version 2 up for $25.00 on eBay.

What was the problem with NVu by the way?  Was it the lack of "whizzy bits"?  (It's the whizzy bits that let FrontPage down, ultimately.)

Incidentally, before anyone accuses me of being biased against MS products, no, it's just Frontpage.  I've tried out MS's new web design product, Web Expression (currently in beta), and it's miles ahead of Frontpage.  Looks like it will be a very good product.
        « Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 02:12:05 PM by robpomeroy »