Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: easy questions... maybe  (Read 2608 times)

ff7vii

easy questions... maybe
« on: October 16, 2006, 10:11:05 PM »
OK, here are some new ones that i need help on.

RAM #1-
   I forget what way it works.... It better to get a higher RAM speed (ie: pc3200 instead of pc2700) even thought the MOBO only reads pc2700 max. That way, if you upgrade your computer you can keep the ram and use it for the new one.... i think i read that in my A+ book, but i cant remember and don't want to chance it.

RAM #2-
   My computer manufacture states that the MOBO has a maximum capacity of 1 Gig (2x 512 MB), but when i look at the MOBO manufactures, they say 2 Gig (2x 1 Gig) and then small print saying that the PC manufacturer's maximum memory may differ.
-It even says this on HP's web site on their MOBO info page. What's up with that? Can i get 2 gigs? Or is it just the software.
I mean, if i load a different copy of windows, will it recognize the extra RAM?

Socket-
   I was talking to someone the other day about sockets, and they said something to the point that althought there is a socket 'A', there are different types... some numbers like 757 and 936.... (just throwing those out there)....
Is there different types, or is a socket 'A' only that, and anything else a different socket type?

Video output-
   Is S-Video the same as HDTV? Or do they just have similer looking plugs?

General-
   What is the meaning of life?

Track

Apprentice

Re: easy questions... maybe
    « Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 10:49:47 PM »
    RAM #1-
       I forget what way it works.... It better to get a higher RAM speed (ie: pc3200 instead of pc2700) even thought the MOBO only reads pc2700 max. That way, if you upgrade your computer you can keep the ram and use it for the new one.... i think i read that in my A+ book, but i cant remember and don't want to chance it.

Well, that depends. If u are using DDR2 and ur max is 667Mhz, then ur not going to buy 1100Mhz for instense., because its a lot more expensive. If u are using DDR and ur max is 333Mhz, then ur not going to buy 400Mhz because once u buy a motherboard that will actually be able to read DDR400, then 400Mhz will be old and cheap and u will want DDR2.
    Remmember that DDR is not forward compatible, as in u cannot stick a DDR memory stick into a DDR2 memory slot, for they are different sizes.

RAM #2-
       My computer manufacture states that the MOBO has a maximum capacity of 1 Gig (2x 512 MB), but when i look at the MOBO manufactures, they say 2 Gig (2x 1 Gig) and then small print saying that the PC manufacturer's maximum memory may differ.
    -It even says this on HP's web site on their MOBO info page. What's up with that? Can i get 2 gigs? Or is it just the software.
    I mean, if i load a different copy of windows, will it recognize the extra RAM?

I doubt that the motherboard will not be able to recognize a 1024MB stick of RAM. Usually those things are written before that much RAM is out, or widely distributed in retail, but they actually do work with the motherboard. The only way that it wouldnt is because of software limitations of course, and again, i doubt that it will not recognize the stick.

Socket-
       I was talking to someone the other day about sockets, and they said something to the point that althought there is a socket 'A', there are different types... some numbers like 757 and 936.... (just throwing those out there)....
    Is there different types, or is a socket 'A' only that, and anything else a different socket type?

There are different types of sockets. A, 478, 939, 775, AM2, 1207 etc.
    They are all different sizes and u cannot insert a CPU that is a certain socket onto a different socket.

Video output-
       Is S-Video the same as HDTV? Or do they just have similer looking plugs?

S-Video is a way to connect certain items, i.e. PC, console, DVD etc. to the TV in order to use the TV as a screen for them. S-Video is the main way to hook-up things to SDTV, or TVs that are not HD.
    An HDTV is a TV that supports higher resolutions than 480i, wich are today 720p and 1080i. Some TVs can handle 1080p. HDTVs have S-Video inputs like SDTVs, but also have HDMI for audio, composite etc. wich have better quality.

General-
       What is the meaning of life?

"The meaning of life is a number, and that number is 1" - Weasel, "I Am Weasel"
    « Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 10:50:27 PM by Track »
    That's Right, I am a Graphics Card Expert!

ff7vii

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 12:46:49 AM »
    OK, i guess i should put my question, instead of being general...hehe

Ok, i am about to upgrade my computer, so i am thinking about buying some new RAM, because i will as soon as i get my new MOBO, and am wondering if i should wait till i get the mobo, or just buy it now and use it in both the computer i am running, and the new one. (i have already reserched it and know what mobo i am buying, i know what type of RAM it needs, and all that good stuff)
    So really, should/can i buy a DDR400 (PC3200) ram stick for my older computer that can read up to DDR333 (PC2700), so that way when my new mobo comes, i can jsut place it in there? I don't mind the money issue, as long as it works. Like i said, i am going to have to buy the memory anyways, i just want to know when, if i buy it now, i want to know if i can use it.

About the RAM #2...
    are you quite sure of that? I again am going to buy memory and would be bummed if it didn't work in my comp.

Socket...
    I know that there are different types of sockets. What i mean is that, are there subcatigories, like a socket A-775?
    Or is a socket A and a socket 775 two sepperate types all together? If i go to a store and ask for a CPU fan for a socket A, and their response is... "what type of socket A?".... are they retarted, or am i uneducated?  (hehe)

Meaning to life...
    I thought it was 42?    And I R not a baboon!

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 03:30:56 PM »
    Are these homework questions?

ff7vii

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 07:26:35 PM »
    well, i am at home, so yea, i gues these are homework questions.

Ok, no its not for a class or anything. Like i said i want to upgrade my RAM, and i want to know......

If my curent MOBO reads at a max of PC2700, is it ok if i buy PC3200? Will it work but only at PC2700? This way when i get my new motherboard, i can use the RAM that i bought.

With the socket question...
       It was one of those things that i thought differently, and want the right answer to set my mind at ease.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 07:37:42 PM »
    The PC3200 will clock down to 2700 if that's what the board supports...

Socket A has had 6 or 7 revisions with the latest being a 939...

Their latest socket designstion is called AM2...

patio.  8-)
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

ff7vii

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006, 01:01:27 AM »
    Exactly what i wanted to hear. Thanks a ton!!!

On a side note.... Patio... are you a nija or somthing...... your post are always very precise, to the point, mellow, and short....lol

It kinda creeps me out, ha! I think your avatar opitomises your personality.... lol

hehe.... your crazy cool!

Track

Apprentice

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006, 02:07:00 AM »
      Exactly what i wanted to hear. Thanks a ton!!!

On a side note.... Patio... are you a nija or somthing...... your post are always very precise, to the point, mellow, and short....lol

It kinda creeps me out, ha! I think your avatar opitomises your personality.... lol

hehe.... your crazy cool!

Look at the ammount of posts he has made. You have to keep it short if u wanna go that high.
      Not to mention he gains experience with every post so he knows how to directly answer a question.
      Just one of the great ppl who contribute their time here for no personal gain, except that its really interesting, and lets face it, what else am i going to do with my enormous knowledge of PC hardware? Its almost overflowing here!
      That's Right, I am a Graphics Card Expert!