Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Removal of Wireless Network Connection bubble noti  (Read 2379 times)

EdmundoR

Topic Starter

Rookie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    Removal of Wireless Network Connection bubble noti
    « on: October 16, 2006, 11:04:20 PM »
    Good Day:
             Have not used the Forums for ages but the addition of a  Toshiba Norebook [my wife's] has brought up questions. I will deal with only one,here.
    Her Notebook is on WindowsXP. It is Wireless, using a Router which is wired in to our  Desktop computer which uses cable power source..  My question:-
      One bubble in the systray pops up "LAN Area connection. A Network cable is unplugged."  As this icon seems to refer to the fact that there is no wired connection to the ISP, can this icon be safely disabled?
       .                                EdmundoR

homer

Expert
      Re: Removal of Wireless Network Connection bubble
      « Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 11:09:11 PM »
      is this "bubble" on the desktop or laptop?

and correct me if im wrong, but you have a [highlight]cable[/highlight] modem connected to a router built into your computer? is this an actual router or just simply a second NIC card?

which uses cable power source..
      that kind of confused me.
      « Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 11:12:04 PM by homer »

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 04:59:32 AM »
      Yes that can be safely disabled. Double click on the icon; choose properties and then untag the last option.

kilowatt_15

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 06:43:36 PM »
      Alternatively you can also disable the Windows balloon tips all together by creating a file on your desktop call temp.reg and then editing it and pasting in the following:

Code: [Select]
      Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer]
      "EnableBalloonTips"=dword:00000000

Save it, run it, and then delete the temp reg file you created.  This should disable the annoying popups for that message and others like it.
      « Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 06:44:24 PM by kilowatt_15 »

EdmundoR

Topic Starter

Rookie
      • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
        « Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 08:26:21 PM »
        Att: Raptor, kilowat15 and Adviser

Thanks Raptor. I disabled the bubble/balloon. Because I was new to the laptop, I hesitate to click anything suspicious!
             Kilowatt, Windows tips are sometimes useful but thanks for telling me how to disable them.
                                                   EdmundoR

EdmundoR

Topic Starter

Rookie
        • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
          « Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 04:44:39 PM »
          Re. the "Bubble/balloon problem.

Att:  kilowatt15,  Raptor et al:

Raptor, Have to report that the yellow balloons did not disappear after all!
           kilowatt15,  I was about to attempt your solution when, disguated at the absense of sufficient info and help in the Toshiba manual, I tried the "Dummies" book on Laptops and hit a bulls eye! It covered my exact problem. And cured it. It, also required editing the Registry. Probably your suggestion would have also done the trick, I dont know.
           I am relating all this for information to the kind helpers and hope that it may help others with the same prob.
                                                          EdmundoR

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006, 04:49:23 PM »
          You may need to untag both options or disable the network card entirely - I suggest that you undo the registry tweak and do as I say instead otherwise you might, over time, forget you ever made this tweak and wonder why a function of Windows that could be in important in trouble shooting doesn't work..

EdmundoR

Topic Starter

Rookie
          • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
            « Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006, 06:53:36 PM »
            Att;  Raptor

Thanks!  It sounds like a good alternative. I'm learning all the time!
                                                   EdmundoR