Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: need advise on hard disk  (Read 2109 times)

associates

Topic Starter

Intermediate
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    need advise on hard disk
    « on: October 18, 2006, 06:13:11 PM »
    Hi,

I'd like to get some advises from you. I have a desktop that i use to back up all the files from all the other computers. Recently, I've been noticing that there is not much memory space left on the hard disk. So i'm almost tempted to buy a larger one - probably 320 G hard disk and put it into the machine as an additional hard disk. Before i proceed with that, i need to know if i can just plug in another hard drive in there given that i have already have a hard disk in there. Will the motherboard be able to support it? I don't have greater knowledge of hardware issues with computers. Not sure how to go around this. so i thought i just drop in and get some inputs here.

Thank you in advance

ab30494

Re: need advise on hard disk
    « Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 06:28:35 PM »
    yeah that would be fine,

just set the first hdd to master, and new one to slave.

if you dont know how, your new hdd will have instructions on how to set it to slave

sneakers

Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 12:14:30 AM »
      Why not buy an external usb hard drive. That way when you want to transfer files you can just plug in the external to each computer.
      Case: Logisys Clear Acrylic - CPU: AMD Athlon FX-62 With HyperTransport Technology - RAM: 2GB  - Power Supply: 650 Watt SLI ready - Motherboard: Asus SLI Deluxe  - Graphics Cards: Geforce 7900 GT  - HDD: 2 - 36 GB Raptors     160

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 04:40:10 AM »
      As long as you have IDE or SATA slots left over I don't see the problem.

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 08:19:13 AM »
      And a physical place to mount the drive. Some space saving desktops can not accomodate.