Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Ubuntu, Win2000 and Win XP  (Read 2042 times)

bayern

Ubuntu, Win2000 and Win XP
« on: October 20, 2006, 06:16:59 PM »
Hi,

I have a 80G HD, it was partitioned into 3 parts, 1st partition, primary, 60G for Win2000 pro, 2nd partition, logical, 10G for WinXP pro and 3rd partion, logical, 10G for Ubuntu 6.06. Before I install Ubuntu, both my Win OSs are working fine. After I installed Ubuntu on the third partition, I try to boot up in Win2000, the chkdsk screen comes up and did a scan, then it boot up nicely and the next time I boot up in Win2000 again everything is normal. However, I am not able to boot up in Win XP. The Win Xp keeps tellng me that the file hal.dll is missing or corrupted and ask me to install a new copy of the file. I did that but it didn't help.

Both Ubuntu and Win2000 are fine, but I really like to have all 3 OSs working, what can I do?

B.

GX1_Man

Re: Ubuntu, Win2000 and Win XP
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 08:20:41 PM »
Does Ubuntu work correctly? Did you have any problems during the install? Did you burn the CD at a nice slow speed? Details please.

bayern

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 09:07:34 PM »
Thakns GX1,

Oh yea, Ubuntu and Win 2K are working correctly. It's WinXP that's giving me problem. After I reinstalled Win XP on the same partition, Ubuntu doesn't even show up.

Before I re-install Win XP, the screen take me to this page, I think it's called GRUB in Linux, it give me the choice to either go to Ubuntu or Windows NT/2000/XP, from there I can choose Windows, then it takes me to the choise of Win2000 or WinXP. When I choose Win2000, it starts up very nicely and runs correctly, but if I choose WinXP, that's where I run into this error message saying hal.dll is missing or corrupted.

I suspect it's something to do with the Linux GRUB and/or the Windows MBR are not working correctly.

B.

bayern

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 09:10:37 PM »
O forgot to mention, I burnt the CD at the speed of 1X.

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2006, 10:09:59 PM »
When you reinstalled XP you wrote over the Linux boot loader.

This can work by installing the oldest version of Windows first, up to the newest, then loading Linux last and using it's boot loader to manage the whole thing.

bayern

Re: Ubuntu, Win2000 and Win XP--- I DID IT!!! ;D
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2006, 12:36:48 AM »
Thanks GX_1, I figure it was something like that.

I got it to work! 3 OSes on one machine.

Here is what I did:

I reinstalled Win2k, I partitioned the HD, 60G for Win2K, 10G for WinXP and 10G for Ubuntu.
Reinstalled WinXP on its own 10 G space.
Reinstalled Ubuntu using the live CD. Use the partitioner to partition the 10G Ubuntu disk space again, 8G for Ext3 and 3G for linux swap,
then install Ubuntu.

Restarted and tested all OSes several times, they all work perfectly.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

OK, time for quad boot!  :P :P

B.

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2006, 06:50:27 AM »
Glad you are all fixed up and thanks for posting back.  ;)