Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for ICT  (Read 10155 times)

Sbu

Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for ICT
« on: October 24, 2006, 09:27:34 AM »
Is there any available SOPs for use of IT equipment that is available out there? I need a model to refer to when I'm developing one for the company I work for. I've never done it before. :-[

Raptor

Re: Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for ICT
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 09:36:42 AM »
I'll check my online Cisco course to see if I can find any for you, I hope I still remember the password..

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 10:03:07 AM »
A Google search on writing an SOP yields some references that might be helpful.  Some of them pertain to specific industries, but the general approach could be applied to other areas, with appropriate modification.  An example: http://www.cdc.gov/od/ohs/sympsium/symp11.htm.  Note that SOP also means Statement of Purpose.  I presume you mean Standard Operating Procedure.

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 10:06:45 AM »
Is this what you're looking for?

Troubleshooting Basics
      Gathering information

Once the problem has been identified, the next step is to gather information so a solution can be developed. Fast and efficient troubleshooting involves gathering the correct information to develop an accurate solution. Computer problems can range from simple to extremely complex. However, computer problems can become increasingly complicated if the technician does not have the correct information.

Technicians have many resources available to help them to diagnose the problem. Technicians can use digital multimeters (DMM), software-based diagnostic tools, and the end user to gain information. Technicians can visually inspect the systems, look for broken components, and listen for evidence of a problem.

The end user can provide insights into how the computer was operating before the system had problems. The technician can document any changes made by the end user that might have adverse affects on the system. The end user can also describe any changes to the system, errors that were received, and system performance leading up to the problem.

The technician needs to know how to properly question the end user. The following is a list of typical questions that the technician will need to ask:

* Can the error be described? Document the description of the problem.
    * Was an error message received? Computers are manufactured with self-diagnostic tools. If the computer fails one of the self-diagnostics tests, it will typically generate an error message.
    * Ask the end user to recall the error message or recreate it. In the case of a power-on-self-test (POST) error, ask the customer for the number of beeps heard.
    * Has the problem or error occurred before? Try to establish a timeline for the event. A timeline will help identify potential causes of the event. If the problem has happened before, document the changes that were made to the system.
    * Have there been any changes to the system? Identify recent changes to the hardware or software. Changes made in an attempt to correct previous problems can be the source of the current problem. Also, adding or removing hardware and software can create unforeseen problems with system resources.

NOTE:

Remember to approach the end user in a respectful and polite manner. Some end users might hesitate to admit what they have done to the system. A professional approach establishes the trust required that enables the end user to discuss any changes.

* Can the error be reproduced? Reproducing the problem will allow the end user to describe the error exactly. An onsite technician can then see and experience the problem firsthand.

CAUTION:

Do not reproduce the error if it can adversely affect the computer components. For example, do not reproduce a problem such as an arcing power supply.

After asking all the necessary questions, obtaining answers, and assessing the answers, the problem should be isolated as either hardware or software related. The problem can then be isolated to a specific component or part of the system. Once this happens, the technician can then proceed with developing a solution to the problem as outlined in the next section.

Network Server Problem Solving
These are a few typical questions to ask when there is a problem with a network server:

* When was the last time that the network server was operational?
    * What has changed since the last time the network server was operational?
    * What hardware has been recently added to the network server?
    * What software has been recently added to the network server?
    * Who first reported the problem with the network server?
    * Where is the network server logbook?
    * How is the failure of the network server affecting the operation of the corporation?

Use the senses to answer questions:

* Is the server room too hot?
    * Is the server room above the maximum operating humidity for the equipment?
    * Is there the smell of something burning in the server room?
    * Is smoke visible in the server room?
    * Are server alarms sounding?
    * Are UPS alarms sounding?
    * Are error lights flashing on disk drives?
    * Are any of the network server components hot to the touch?
    * Are power cords disconnected from any of the components?
    * Are network cables disconnected from any of the network devices, including the servers?
    * Are all external SCSI cables properly connected?

Using the senses to answer these basic questions is an integral part of troubleshooting. Also important are hardware/software tools and utilities.