Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Thermal Paste  (Read 1722 times)

rbanne

Thermal Paste
« on: October 21, 2006, 09:32:46 AM »
I have just installed an Intel Pentium D Processor onto a brand new motherboard. I am a little confused about whether or not I need to put thermal paste on the processor. The Intel instructions just say to be careful not to damage the thermal interface material on the fan heatsink (which came with the processor) and do not mention any other thermal paste. The motherboard manual however, does say to use thermal paste. Is the the stuff that Intel provide sufficient, or do I need to take the heatsink/fan off again and add some paste?

Raptor

Re: Thermal Paste
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 10:41:05 AM »
I have just installed an Intel Pentium D Processor onto a brand new motherboard. I am a little confused about whether or not I need to put thermal paste on the processor. The Intel instructions just say to be careful not to damage the thermal interface material on the fan heatsink (which came with the processor) and do not mention any other thermal paste. The motherboard manual however, does say to use thermal paste. Is the the stuff that Intel provide sufficient, or do I need to take the heatsink/fan off again and add some paste?

Do not remove the pre-applied thermal paste and do not touch it either. It is sufficient and efficient because it has been properly applied. Unlike self-applied solutions which often get a bit messy..

rbanne

Re: Thermal Paste
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 11:18:06 AM »
Thanks for that Raptor. It was the answer I was hoping for.