Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Internet Explorer sends me back to previous page  (Read 5068 times)

norwichkev

Internet Explorer sends me back to previous page
« on: October 23, 2006, 02:54:01 AM »
Would really appreciate it if anyone has any advice on the following problem which is really annoying me with Internet Explorer at the moment.
When in any webpage after a few seconds I am redirected back to the previous page every single time. If i click on a link in a webpage it will take me to that link, but only for a few seconds before it sends me back.
Also when I click on the Start button at the bottom left of the screen it appears very briefly then disappears unless I keep the left mouse button held down.
I think I have a virus on my computer but have Antivirus software saying it is clean.

Any ideas?

Many Thanks

Kevin

GX1_Man

Re: Internet Explorer sends me back to previous pa
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 03:57:41 AM »
What are you using for malware protection? When did this start? Anything else unusual? WHat version of Windows and service pack? Details get intelligent responses.

See below.

norwichkev

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 04:38:15 AM »
I have up to date Norton Antivirus and also use Window Defender and Spybot (I think its called Spybot) I have run them all and they are coming up as clear of viruses. I do get a small red box flash at the bottom right of the screen saying I have a virus, if you click on the box it takes me to a Spyware page.
I am running Windows XP thats about all I know to be honest, I'm not great with computers. I am currently sending these messages from a works computer so i cant check up on anything at the moment.
A few months ago I did get a virus and I dint have up to date antivirus protection, eventually my computer would not start up so a friend fitted a new hard drive, managed to recover some files from the old hard drive and saved them to CD. I think he then reinstaled windows on my machine and it was all working OK.
The recent problem with explorer started on Saturday, I didnt knowingly do anything to change anything and I cant think of anything that has caused it other than Norton picked up I had a trojan virus so i got it to quarentine it for me, it was unable to repair it.
I can use things like MSN and Yahoo Messenger OK and run programmes on my machine OK. It's just the problem with Explorer and the Start function at the bottom left of the screen
Hope this helps

Kevin

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 06:10:42 AM »
I have up to date Norton Antivirus and also use Window Defender and Spybot (I think its called Spybot) I have run them all and they are coming up as clear of viruses. I do get a small red box flash at the bottom right of the screen saying I have a virus, if you click on the box [highlight]it takes me to a Spyware page[/highlight].
I am running Windows XP thats about all I know to be honest, I'm not great with computers. I am currently sending these messages from a works computer so i cant check up on anything at the moment.
A few months ago I did get a virus and I dint have up to date antivirus protection, eventually my computer would not start up so a friend fitted a new hard drive, managed to recover some files from the old hard drive and saved them to CD. I think he then reinstaled windows on my machine and it was all working OK.
The recent problem with explorer started on Saturday, I didnt knowingly do anything to change anything and I cant think of anything that has caused it other than Norton picked up I had a trojan virus so i got it to quarentine it for me, it was unable to repair it.
I can use things like MSN and Yahoo Messenger OK and run programmes on my machine OK. It's just the problem with Explorer and the Start function at the bottom left of the screen
Hope this helps

Kevin

And what would that page be? What are they selling?

Make sure that Spybot and everything else have been updated. Then do all your scans in safe mode with system restore turned off.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 06:11:28 AM by GX1_Man »

norwichkev

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 05:51:19 AM »
The webpage the red box takes me to if i click on it is Spywarequake.com and appears to be trying to sell me software that will get rid of spyware, i haven't ever taken this any further as I have been warned against things like this.
I dint get a chance to do a full scan in safe mode but did notice that norton and spybot search & destroy weren't fully up to date so I have now updated these so will try in safe mode later.
How do I turn off system restore?

Thanks

Kevin

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 05:53:00 AM »
Right click on My Computer and choose properties
Then go to the System Restore tab and place a check in the box marked "turn off system restore"

unlovedwarrior

Guru

• someday this name will be known
    « Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 08:41:59 AM »
    thats a fun infection to get rid of..

go here  

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1134123580  

dl    
    ewido  

adaware  

spybot  

Ccleaner  

windows defender  

update them    

use Ccleaner to empty your junk from temp files just open and run scan  

then do full scans with ewido adaware spybot windows defender and your antivirus  in safe mode (rapidly tap f8 before windows loads go to safe mode the very top one) and with system restore turned off ( right click my computer go to properties click system restore tab check box that says turn off system restore)  

then reboot back into normal and report back  

if you dont have a firewall already then dl zonalarm free from the site i gave  

if your having pop up problems and this might be good to dl and install anyway  

(for the pop up problem go here  
    http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1147665297 )  

and dl host secure  

unlovedwarrior  

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced

norwichkev

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2006, 02:18:52 AM »
      Thanks for all the help, it seems to have worked, all the problems have disappeard although my computer now seems a little slow but thats not a problem. The red box also has gone too.
      Would you recommend that I keep all the antivirus and antispyware programmes on my machine or are a couple enough. At present I have Norton antivirus, Spybot Search & Destroy, Windows Defender and AVG.

Regards

Kevin

GX1_Man

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2006, 04:18:55 AM »
      One antivirus is all you need and more can cause problems which you don't need. If you are already invested in Norton and want to keep it, go ahead. Most people here like AVG, but that's your call.
      « Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 04:19:19 AM by GX1_Man »

norwichkev

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2006, 05:44:25 AM »
      So do you think i really need windows defender? Should I just keep Norton antivirus for my virus protection and Spybot Search and Destroy for my spyware protection or is it worth getting more spyware protection? This would mean me getting rid of AVG and Windows Defender.

GX1_Man

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2006, 01:52:32 PM »
      Two spyware protectors is not unreasonable as long as only one is active at a time. Lots of people use Defender and Spybot. Some people just like to pay for stuff. They think it works better, too.
      « Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 01:52:59 PM by GX1_Man »