Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: flashing power light  (Read 9376 times)

mlallan1307

Re: flashing power light
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2006, 08:24:34 PM »
taking the battery out and plugging it in still results in a blinking power light. if a dead battery is = no battery then would that seem likely to be the problem? ill pick up the battery tomorrow so ill post what happens.

Raptor

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2006, 11:54:13 PM »
taking the battery out and plugging it in still results in a blinking power light. if a dead battery is = no battery then would that seem likely to be the problem? ill pick up the battery tomorrow so ill post what happens.

It's the cheapeast thing to try, it could be bled dry entirely but I don't think that is the case. However, it shouldn't be ruled out either.

Thanks for the pictures, nice detail.  :D It looks to me like your average ATX PSU although I couldn't help but wonder if it is a bit flatter than normal; is this the case?

Do the measurements correspond: ATX: 6x3.5x5.5", HxWxD ?

mlallan1307

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2006, 08:43:36 AM »
a site says its 5.9 W x 3.4 H x 5.5 D ill measure it myself when i get home (as i'm in anatomy class right now.) lol   ;)

GX1_Man

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2006, 09:52:03 AM »
In that case please measure the vastus lateralis.  ;)

http://www.rad.washington.edu/atlas2/vastuslateralis.html
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 09:52:57 AM by GX1_Man »

mlallan1307

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2006, 01:23:47 PM »
lol thats a good one  ;)

i measured it myself and got the same thing. its [highlight]5.9 W x 3.4 H x 5.5 D[/highlight] also i have enough room in my case for it to be 4inch H if the screws are in the same spot however. Antec's website says that this model's size is [highlight]5.9" (W) x 3.4" (H) x 6.1"(D)[/highlight]. the extra .6" in (D) will fit. btw my motherboard cant use PCI (i learned this when i upgraded my vid card), so is the antec Sp-400 gona work?

i bought the new battery and it didnt fix it  :-/ o well
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 01:55:08 PM by mlallan1307 »

Raptor

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2006, 02:20:38 PM »
btw my motherboard cant use PCI (i learned this when i upgraded my vid card), so is the antec Sp-400 gona work?

I am not sure what the connection between your PCI slot and the PSU would be, can you please explain?

mlallan1307

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2006, 02:31:14 PM »
btw my motherboard cant use PCI (i learned this when i upgraded my vid card), so is the antec Sp-400 gona work?

I am not sure what the connection between your PCI slot and the PSU would be, can you please explain?

well im not sure myself, i believe that the bestec one i have now also has a PCI connector but is unused, and the Antec has one also. all i know is that PCI is faster, but my motherboard isnt compatable w/ it, so when i bought my Nvidia 7800 vid card i got the best non-PCI card that i could afford, and said that when i needed a better one i would buy a whole new comp lol. probly in about 2 years. just incase u wanna know the story of my vid card  ;D

GX1_Man

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2006, 02:57:28 PM »
It would be a strange computer that could not use a PCI video card. PCI-E yes, but that does not appear to be the case. PCI is the slowest of the 3  (PCI, AGP and PCI-E) but it will work.

Are you talking about a PCI-e power connector from the PU?

We need to clarify our terms here.

What is the model of this Compaq?

mlallan1307

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2006, 03:08:42 PM »
It would be a strange computer that could not use a PCI video card. PCI-E yes, but that does not appear to be the case. PCI is the slowest of the 3  (PCI, AGP and PCI-E) but it will work.

Are you talking about a PCI-e power connector from the PU?

We need to clarify our terms here.

What is the model of this Compaq?

my vid card is "AGP 8x" if that matters

yes i suppose im talking about the PCI- E power connecter then

Presario SR1000Z

mlallan1307

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2006, 04:05:48 PM »
i just disconnected all the wires attached to the PSU and then plugged the power cord in. the power light didnt flash, rather it stayed solid green and acted normally, so i plugged them all back in and connected the power cord again and it flashed again... is this what a busted PSU would do? or does this indicate that it isnt the power supply.

Raptor

« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2006, 11:50:38 PM »
i just disconnected all the wires attached to the PSU and then plugged the power cord in. the power light didnt flash, rather it stayed solid green and acted normally, so i plugged them all back in and connected the power cord again and it flashed again... is this what a busted PSU would do? or does this indicate that it isnt the power supply.

Perhaps the load is too heavy, or something else is damaged. But we won't be sure until you connect another PSU. It doesn't have to be a new one, just borrow one that is powerfull enough (+350 wattages / decent brand)

my vid card is "AGP 8x" if that matters

yes i suppose im talking about the PCI- E power connecter then

Do you have an AGP 8X / PCI-E mainboard? I very much doubt that, normal PCI slots do not require additional power. Your AGP videocard might, but that should be obvious by the power connector leading to which' connection is mandatory.

mlallan1307

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2006, 01:38:01 PM »
i just got the Antec psu and hooked it up. It WORKS! yay! thank you so much for all of your time.  :D
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 02:13:14 PM by mlallan1307 »