Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: screen wont show a thing  (Read 3059 times)

crrash

screen wont show a thing
« on: October 25, 2006, 11:29:30 AM »
everything has been working fine till now (well everything 'cept a tv card that refused some times to work, and the fact that i have to keep the pc case open)
i was watching a youtube movie when the computer froze.. or at least thats what i thought, i restarted it, but nothing would show on the screen.
i tried swapping screens: no display
i tried swapping graphic cards: no display
i looke at all the other components of the pc: everything blinking and working fans ( i think the graphic card fan is working too)
im thinking it might be some motherboard failure... but im not sure

dont think speccs help a thing but here goes:
Windows xp home
pentium 4 3,06ghz (dont remember if its got HT or how that was called)
2x 512mb ddr ram
xfx geforce 6600gt AGP8x

thats how far i remember it anyways :P
hope anyone knows whats up and if and what ill have to replace
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 11:38:36 AM by crrash »

Raptor

Re: screen wont show a thing
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 02:22:49 PM »
everything has been working fine till now (well everything 'cept a tv card that refused some times to work, and the fact that i have to keep the pc case open)

The latter must mean it is running far too warm. What are your temperatures? Did any fans stop working and did you continue using the PC? Have you cleaned the heatsinks?

crrash

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 01:25:56 AM »
meanwhile i tokk out the tv card hoping it would be doing something to the pc (its very hady, seems to be a pixelview playtv pro2 but i have never ever seen mention of this one on the net...)
i tried to keep everything pretty clean, having the tv card gone out once because of i guess bad cleaning.
cant check on temperatures anymore, but last time i checked, speedfan said everythings fine...
Fans are working, i have even an extra one that came with my pc way back when i bought it. ("way back" being 2 or 3 years)

and now suddenly after changing a port forwarding option on my router, internets not working at home, hope i get it working or can check regularly at school

edit: yay for me internet is working! and crap... now im afraid of changing port forwarding options..

anyways i just checked something... the pc doesnt have any boot up beep
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 07:31:08 AM by crrash »

Resand

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 11:43:37 AM »
I'm having just the same problem. My PC worked fine until last night, was watching a movie, then everything froze. I tried to reboot with the power button. Lights come on in the front. CPU and case fan starts, and I can hear the HD starting up.

Have tried another graphic cards and tested mine on another system. Mine workes fine.

have tried RAM from another system, that didn't do it.

So basically I got it down to power supply,  motherboard, or cpu.

But testing power supply is a pain, and I'm not sure how to test the cpu or motherboard as I have a feeling removing the cpu might be kind of damaging.

edit: Tried another power supply, didn't do it either.

What do you good folks here thing is wrong?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 12:54:37 PM by Resand »

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 03:58:12 PM »
Resand, create your own topic. Less confusing that way.

Crrash, I don't get it, first your PC didn't work and now you got Internet to work on it? I assume you fixed it, then..

bpd

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 03:59:45 PM »
My computer is having this problem as well. My cpu fan had gone out and I purchased a new one and when I put it in and turned on the computer nothing would show on the screen. I changed the memory, the cpu, the power supply the mother board, the graphics card, and the battery and nothing seems to work.  

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 04:25:14 PM »
My computer is having this problem as well. My cpu fan had gone out and I purchased a new one and when I put it in and turned on the computer nothing would show on the screen. I changed the memory, the cpu, the power supply the mother board, the graphics card, and the battery and nothing seems to work.  

And all you did was replace the fan?

What type of mainboard do you have?

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006, 07:42:28 PM »
You two late comers need to start your own topic rather than try to hijack this thread. Though the problems may SEEM to be the same, the cause and solution can be entirely different.

crrash

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2006, 01:35:39 PM »
aw and i hoped all those replies were answers...
no pc is still not working, im using now my parents pc (the router at home had some problem internet didnt work, but its all up again).
after analyzing everything and asking other people im pretty sure its either the CPU or motherboard.
can a motherboard be broken only at one part, letting still some lights, drives and fans work?

anyways the guy at the store said id have to format my harddisk if i awnt to user a new motherboard... now im having backup worries... cant access pc per lan, as it doesnt seem to be getting far (i never hear any sound from the speakers), an older pc recognizes the drive, but wontlet me access it...

new question:
how can i save my 230 gigs worth of data from my two harddisks?

reread resand's problem, and yes its exactly the same and we went through almost the same prosses of eliminatioon, leaving CPU and motherboard
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 01:38:44 PM by crrash »

GX1_Man

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2006, 06:29:27 PM »
Here is a solution without Windows.

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1152393515

Maybe you need a backup on an external hard drive until you get Windows reinstalled as well.

crrash

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2006, 02:29:03 AM »
wouldnt work... i dont even know how far i get when starting up, as i said, no screen no sounds, just the harddrives and fans working and most lights flshing and staying on...