Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: media player is auto starting  (Read 2959 times)

fool_on_the_hill

media player is auto starting
« on: October 26, 2006, 04:46:26 AM »
hi,
i have genuine windows XP home sp2, media player 9, on a desktop with logitech Access keyboard.
if i press any key on right side of keyboard media player launches. i have disabled media player using the control panel but it still launches. my only recent change was IE7 install. system restore has not solved probem and i am now back with IE6. virus check today reported no virus found.

as i am typing using on screen keyboard and mouse any ideas gratefully received.

the fool.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: media player is auto starting
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 08:53:16 AM »
I suspect the real problem here is your keyboard, not WMP.  You might try uninstalling the Logitech software and driver associated with your keyboard and then reinstall it.  

Another troubleshooting step would be to try another keyboard.  Do you have an old standard keyboard lying around?  Try it.  

If the problem is, indeed, a keyboard issue, then you did not need to uninstall IE7 and I suggest you reinstall it.  Or, get the Firefox browser and use it.  Either way, I would not continue with IE6.  

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 04:06:59 PM »
Did you install Logitech software for it?

fool_on_the_hill

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2006, 11:02:27 AM »
Thanks, soybean and Raptor. Raptor got it right. I installed a new hard drive in the summer but didn't install the Logitech software. Done it now and everything is fine. Point taken - when all else fails try the supplied software!

I will reinstall IE7 now soybean.

Thanks again,

the fool.

(no, not that fool, not that hill)