Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: DVD BURNER  (Read 10021 times)

mohan_raj

DVD BURNER
« on: October 26, 2006, 11:09:45 AM »
I am new to DVD writing. Pardon my ignorance.

I bought a pack of discs. DVD-R  4.7GB  DVD+RECORDABLE Moserbaer Brand These are the things engraved on top of the disc. I also seeRW engraved.

I loaded the blank and brought in NERO. I selected one Small DVD Video and burnt it. It came very well.

Next I selected another small DVD Video and tried to burn it in the same disc.

I get the message " This disc is not writable"  " Please insert a writable disc"

Disc required for compilation DVD+R/RW,DVD-R/RW

The blank I put gets ejected automatically.

Even though 90% of space is available on the disc I am not able to write any thing more into it.

Kindly help.

HCS

Re: DVD BURNER
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 11:33:24 AM »
How big is the file that you are trying to add on to the DVD and how big are the DVD's? Possibly you should just try another disc.

-Hales Computer Service
Visit us!
www.halescomputerservice.vze.com

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 03:58:48 PM »
DVD-R is not DVD-RW.

mohan_raj

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 05:30:42 PM »
Dear Raptor, thanks.

On my disc it is written RW and beneath it DVD-R. So is it DVD-r or DVD-RW?

My disc capacity is 4.7 GB.  I have written only 123MB. It is not writing more saying disc is not writable. May be it will write , if I change  settings  somewhere. That is where I need help to know what settings should I be changing. Can any one help please.

My DVD writer is Samsung- Writemaster.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 10:03:49 PM »
Once you finalise a write to a disk no matter how much room is left on the disk it becomes un-writable...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 10:19:57 PM »
Especially if you use a DVD-R. You can't "re-use" it either.

mohan_raj

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 10:42:29 PM »
Dear Patio,

Am I to understand that even if RW meaning rewritable is written on top of the disc I cannot write more? If so in which disc can I write more?

Is there any way I can erase or reformat the disc so that next time I write atleast half full and utilise the capacity of the disc. Now it appears paying more and buying a high capacity disc is not so cost effective .

Is there anyway I can modify the settings to read R/RW instead of R? In that case it will not eject.

Alternately can I atleast use the disc as Cd instead of DVD and put audio files or at least some text files and use the rest of the disc as saving device.

I will appreciate help from more compter wizards.

Regards

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006, 10:50:08 PM »
What software are you using to write to this drive?

Have a read:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=how+dvd-rw+works
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 10:50:46 PM by GX1_Man »

mohan_raj

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2006, 02:56:34 AM »
Dear GX1_Man,

Thanks a lot for guiding me to software angle. I feel I may have a solution there.

Let me take a little time to wade through. I will get back later.

Thanks once again for the troubles you have taken

Mohan Raj

mohan_raj

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2006, 03:03:45 AM »
Dear DX1_Man,

THe soft ware I am using is the one supplied by Samsung along with the DVD writer.

It says " SAMSUNG DVD WRITER"

Nero Express 6[ver.6.6.0.19b]

[BG68-01147A REV.00]

GX1_Man

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2006, 04:08:19 AM »
That should work very nicely as burning software. Just remember to use a CD/DVD as a "big floppy drive" you have to have packet writing of some form like InCD, etc.

If you are just copying data one time to a disc you don't even need this. Just burn with Nero.

Personally I don't use InCD, but that's just me.

mohan_raj

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2006, 06:27:22 AM »
Thanks again GX1_Man, But the software angle did not help.

In the meanwhile I went to the web site of the disc manufacturer, Moser Bear. He clearly states that if I have finalized the first run on the disc no further addition is possible. May be that is the way the disc manufacturer increases his sale of discs!

Surely we should find a way to crack this locking done on the disc by making a software programme and preventing the DVD writer from locking the disc after the first writing.

For now , I give up . I have learnt the hard way about the limitations imposed on these costly blanks by vested interests.

As moderator may be you can take it up in the proper forum and get this lacuna rectified.

Thanks again for your time GX1_Man!

GX1_Man

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2006, 07:55:44 AM »
It's not a sales strategy. It is a technology issue. When you finalize ANY disk you can not write to it further. That is what finalize is all about - it's final.

mohan_raj

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2006, 08:52:28 AM »
Dear GX1_Man,

I entirely agree with you , if I finalized the disc myself.

But in this case it got finalized by default. I only wish that the default setting was the other way viz., only those who want to deliberatly foreclose the disc by 'finalizing' for whatever reason should have to live with that decision. They coluld even put an alert pop up.

In my case I did not even know that the default setting is automatically finalising. I lost this way more than one disc , not knowing better. That is why I feel that the disc manufacturer has taken advantage of my ignorance.

Secondly, assuming for argument sake,  disc is finalised by some software technology issue, if I change my mind, why not I have some technology to reverse the decision. Afterall one can always change his mind. { though in my case that is not it}.

So, will you agree with me that I have a point to make towards improvong this irrevocably locking technology. Even if I have to pay a penalty of say losing a GB of space or more  if I decide to unlock I would still want to consider the improvement.

We lock our car or house or any thing at all ,only to unlock later. Why not same principle for the disc also!!!!! Why this finality???

Do you think as moderator you can do something to help others like me , now that you are seized of the issue.

Thanks for the prompt replies.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2006, 04:50:49 PM »
Copy the files from the DVD back to the hard drive...erase the re-writable and re-do the project...

patio.  8-)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "