Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problem with graphics controller  (Read 4497 times)

russellis88

Problem with graphics controller
« on: October 28, 2006, 09:50:39 AM »
System Info.
Gateway Pentium 4 CPU 2.4 GHz
Windows XP Home(5.1) Version 02 Service Pack2
ACPI Mulitprocessor PC
Motherboard: Intel La Crosse D865GLC
Intel 82865G Graphics Controller

I am pretty green around computers so I will try as best as I can to share my problem. If this is posted in the wrong forum please forgive me.

Not to long ago we were having a serious problem with speed. It would take 20 to 30 munites for our PC to complete the simplest task, like opening word. It would even lock up and need to be manually shut down. At one time I had to use the XP disk just to get it to boot up windows. It got so bad I tried system restore.

System restore fixed the speed problem but led me to my current problem.

The monitor resolution is set to 640x480 and can not be changed. Going into proprities only gives me options for color and background. I followed the help wizard and found that the graphics controller was not working properly.The message was "Windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware. (Code 37)"  The wizard recommended uninstalling then reinstalling the controller. I did this with no results.

Does anyone have anything that can help me out. My next step is buying a new computer. Yes, I am that green.

Thanks

Track

Apprentice

Re: Problem with graphics controller
    « Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 10:14:24 AM »
    Whos "We"?
    Seems like ur having sofware problems, if a system restore cleared one of the problems. I think it may have to do with viruses.

Try to install the drivers for the graphics controller, and if that dosent work install XP again.

If the problem persists, then its a hardware problem, in wich case u would have to buy a new PC, or at least replace some of the parts.

Dont feel green.  ;)
    That's Right, I am a Graphics Card Expert!

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 11:39:27 AM »
    Is that the same graphics adapter the computer came with? Did you do a Windows system restore or a restore with the Gateway restore CD's? Do you have a driver CD with the Video driver on it? That is what you need to install to unleash the potential of the graphics adapter.

I don't think it is time for a new computer AT ALL. This can be fixed. ;)

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006, 11:58:57 AM »
    If the problem persists, then its a hardware problem, in wich case u would have to buy a new PC, or at least replace some of the parts.

Cut it out already...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

russellis88

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2006, 01:54:15 PM »
    Thanks everyone for replying. I am going to try to answer some of the questons everyone threw at me along with a couple more questions.

Yes it is the same graphic adapter that came with the system. The only thing I have done to this PC is change the memory from one stick of 128 to two sticks of 256. I did this around march this year and my problem just started about a month ago. Could that have caused any problems?

I would like to try to reinstall the driver. I don't know where it is located. Is it on the disks that came with the system? Is there any chance it might be located on the internet? Can anyone give me a quick walk through on how to go about it?

The same with reinstalling XP. If this is the next step how do I go about it.

as far as replacing the hardware are we just talking about a new graphics card? if so how do I go about checking compatability and does anyone have any recommendations on brands?

Last I would just like to say thanks. Thanks for all the advice and your patience.

russellis88

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2006, 01:58:19 PM »
    I forgot to add that I did a windows system restore. It literally took half a day to make my way through all the menus and to restore, it was running that slow. After it did restore all the speed came back but the monitor was screwy.

Thanks

Neil

Expert
    • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
      « Reply #6 on: October 28, 2006, 03:56:34 PM »
      Monitor was screwy? More info on this, and is it fixed now? (If yes, what did you do?)

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #7 on: October 28, 2006, 03:57:55 PM »
      From what you listed it seems you are running an onboard graphics controller...so the drivers would be located on your MBoard CD that came with the machine.

Try re-installing them and see if things improve...
      « Last Edit: October 28, 2006, 03:58:39 PM by patio »

GX1_Man

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2006, 06:00:04 PM »
      Is that the same graphics adapter the computer came with? Did you do a Windows system restore or a restore with the Gateway restore CD's? [highlight]Do you have a driver CD with the Video driver on it? [/highlight]That is what you need to install to unleash the potential of the graphics adapter.

Please post the Gateway model number. It will be on (or in) the case, on your invoice, etc. We can find the driver if you do not have the CD that Gateway always includes. You may have to install the chipset drivers as well.

russellis88

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2006, 11:19:09 AM »
      Just wanted to let everyone know I have had some success. I used the driver disk that came with the system and it did manage to fix the screen resolution back to a manageable size. For some reson the device manager is still saying it can not initialize the driver and I can not go into the monitor properties and change anything more than screen color, but the resolution is back to normal.

I realize that I didn't give enoughf info. about my computer for you all to work with and next time I will supply more. I downloaded Everest which gives me the info. you need. Thanks.

To answer the last question my model is Gateway MFATXPNT MDW 500S.

Since the graphics driver is still not initializing does that mean it might be time for a new graphics card.

I don't know if i might have a virus. I also took this sights recommendation and scrapped Norton and downloaded the free virsion of AVG and it says my system is clean. Any thoughts?

You are all AWSOM, I know I am going to love being a part of your forum.
      Thanks.
       :)

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #10 on: October 29, 2006, 12:24:56 PM »
      DLoad and run the tool below...

Norton Removal Tool

1) Use Add Remove Programs first and un-install Norton...
      2) From Windows Explorer search for any folders named Norton and Symantec and delete them...
      3)DLoad and install ERUNT and have it make a backup of your registry...
      4) Open regedit and type Norton in the search bar. Delete all entries it finds. F3 takes you to the next i      instance of Norton. Continue til you have reached the end of the registry...
      5)Repeat the above process using Symantec instead in the search field. Delete any Symantec keys it finds...
      6)Now run the Norton Removal tool you DLoaded...
      7)Empty the recycle bin...
      8)Go to My Computer and right clik the C: drive and select Properties and run disk cleanup...
      9)Re-boot and run disk defrag....

There you're done !

See how easy Symantec makes it for you to dump their product ? ?

patio.  8-)

Track

Apprentice

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2006, 08:26:44 AM »

Cut it out already...

Great idea, maybe u should take it under consideration.
        That's Right, I am a Graphics Card Expert!

russellis88

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2006, 07:38:46 AM »
        patio

Thanks for the good info. I followed your instructions and got all the way to running the Norton removal tool. I keep getting an error message that says Symantec productu is using tinstaller/uninstaller. Please finish the installer session before running Norton removal tool. Then it exits Norton removal tool.
        Any ideas on how to carry on?

I also didn't get the sarcasm until about half way through your instructions. Now I see...oh boy do I see. :)
        Thanks

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #13 on: October 31, 2006, 10:51:42 AM »
        If the un-installer is hanging just try shutting down all running programs Exit and re-boot.
        Following that run it one last time and you should be good to go...