Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My Documents Folder Changed to control panel  (Read 3992 times)

Gabrielle DePlanty

My Documents Folder Changed to control panel
« on: September 21, 2004, 10:15:09 PM »
My my documents folder now opens my control panel.  The folder type is control panel.  I know my files are still there.  Is there any way to change the folder type back to normal.  I have Windows 98se.  Please Help.

Thanks.

Batch_Lamer

Re: My Documents Folder Changed to control panel
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2004, 02:23:52 AM »
I think you have to reset the link in the shortcut to "my documents."

If the icon on your desktop is just a link you may click on it with the right mouse button. Next, you choose properties and in the first folder (called "destiny" or so in english (I'm working here with another language so I have to guess a bit)) you'll find the path to the folder that's being opened by this link.

Just change this path to the one where your documents are placed (Possibly something like "c:/DocumentsandSetings/MyName/....  ...etc.")

If you don't know where your documents are to be found, use the search function in windows, looking for *.doc or so, this will show you the path

I hope I understood you question :-|

MalikTous

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2004, 12:51:31 PM »
Uh, Batch_Lamer, those paths are XP/NT. In Win98 it is C:\My Documents. You could either delete or 'stash' the desktop link and make a simple desktop shortcut to C:\My Documents (or wherever you have moved My Documents to if you use custom partitioning), or you can use a tool like Xteq XSetup to reset the default icon link on the desktop.

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2004, 01:13:16 PM »
tools /folder options/view   restore defaults   and scan for bugs...