Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Questionable Upgrade  (Read 2105 times)

Ruse

Questionable Upgrade
« on: November 01, 2006, 09:59:32 AM »
My motherboard says it can take upto 2gig DDR 333mhz ram in 2 1gb slots, i brought a Gig from PC World, but of PC400, as he assured me it would roll back and work no problem, since then my PC hasn't been running all too well, it could be a number of things, but the 2mb internet connection is running very slow, The only other changes if i've downloaded the anti virus software from the trend site, Pc-Cillian I think, And downloaded IE7. & Installed Aol (Not as an ISP) & Doom 3 & Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. & that pretty much sums it up as I recently formatted the PC. THe format contains a 1 disc which installs all drivers, software etc.

The ram has helped speed up the opening of folders etc, loading times for games. As I was only using 256DDR 333mhz. So the upgrade was essential for what I need.

Any help as to why it's running connection so poorly for the internet. It's slow on both Aol & IE7.

Any help appreciated. Thanks :]

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Questionable Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 10:10:18 AM »
AOL is not your ISP, so what AOL product did you install?  

I think your title is a bit misleading.  Apparently, you do not have a memory problem.  You said you are getting better performance after installing the additional memory except for your Internet connection speed.  So, that does not sound like a memory problem.  

Do you know whether any of those games tamper with your system settings that might affect your Internet connection?

I suggest you visit www.dslreports.com and run their Speed Test, and then run their Tweaks Test.  Although you can do this without registering on their site, I suggest you register first.  That way, you can save you test results and then see how they compare to other computer users using the same ISP.