Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 2 Hard Drives 1 works, HELP !!!  (Read 2794 times)

Dylan Prewitt

2 Hard Drives 1 works, HELP !!!
« on: September 22, 2004, 11:25:53 AM »
Hello All. Great to find some free computer help.  On my computer I currently have a small 3 GB HD on it I have bought a 30 GB HD and I would like to run these in tandem, if its possible.  If not  what do I need to do to get the 30GB working. I have set it to slave and nothing happens.  Do I need to format add partitions, what? and also how  do I do this. I did it once about 6 yrs. ago and cant remember how to again.  Thank You all in advance.

Dylan ;)

Raptor

Re: 2 Hard Drives 1 works, HELP !!!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2004, 12:16:46 PM »
Does your motherboard support the new HDD?

Did you set your other HDD to master?

Is the HDD detected in the BIOS?

MalikTous

Re: 2 Hard Drives 1 works, HELP !!!
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2004, 04:51:54 PM »
Many HDs use a different jumper layout for Master with Slave than for single master. Many drives ship with an 80-line Cable Select high speed cable, and you have to set your drive jumpers appropriately.

Once you figure out the jumper mania, set up the 30GB drive as your slave drive, boot the 3GB, and set up the 30 as either 2 (16GB and 12GB) partitions or 1 28GB primary partition, and copy the entire content of the 3GB drive over. Then swap the drives once you are sure the 30GB will boot. Don't forget to make the first (primary) partition on the 30GB drive 'active'. Once you're satisfied with the drive layout, you can wipe the 3GB drive and use it for a download bin...

If the 3GB drive is not a UDMA capable drive (BIOS shows it as PIO only, not DMA 2 or better), move it to the secondary cable as master with the CDROM as slave. The 30GB will run significantly faster at UDMA speeds...