Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Login Loop  (Read 4783 times)

scoutmamaof4

Login Loop
« on: November 01, 2006, 02:09:33 PM »
I've got a strange problem that I have not been able to figure out yet.  I work at a business where we have perhaps fifteen computers.  There are two websites we use frequently that have just recently begun to loop during login.  We enter our regular normal login information and are immediately taken back to the login page instead of being directed to the site.  

The odd thing is that one of our computers can access both sites with no problem.  I've tried fiddling with the settings on my computer and a couple of the others, to no avail.  The only thing I can figure is that the one computer that is logging in is not set to do the automatic updates.  Is it possible that a recent update did something to our cookies or something?  

It's most frustrating because to process things on these two sites we have to go to the one person's computer and interrupt her work while we do what needs doing.  

One of the sites directs us back to the login with the addition of "index.cfm" at the end of the regular address.  We use Cold Fusion on our own website, but I can't imagine how that would affect login on another site.

Any ideas?

:-?

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Login Loop
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 02:53:47 PM »
Clear cache; delete cookies; close rogue browsers; restart.  Ensure those browsers are set to accept cookies.

Does that help?

If not, have you tried Firefox?
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

scoutmamaof4

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 03:01:58 PM »
That was the first thing I tried.  I have thought about using Firefox, but all our computers here are set for Explorer.  I'll try FF and let you know if that works.  

If it works with that and I'm the only one using it, I'll be stuck processing everything for those websites!   ;)

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 03:04:30 PM »
Can you give a link to the website(s)?  I'd like to check what authentication strategy they use.

scoutmamaof4

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 03:06:36 PM »

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 03:19:05 PM »
Actually I realised that was a daft question of mine; I won't be able to log in, therefore I won't be able to check how it works.

The most likely problem is cookie-related, as you rightly suggest.  Have you deployed IE7 across your network yet?  If not, you need to think about doing that anyway.  In the meantime, this issue may be related to internet security zones.  Try resetting them?

scoutmamaof4

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 03:21:16 PM »
I will work on that first thing tomorrow.  Time to go home for the day...\0/

Raptor

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 03:38:26 PM »
Reset security zones

1. Start  
2. Settings  
3. Control Panel  
4. Internet Options  
5. Security tab  
6. Reset all 4 security zones to Default  

Reset cookie settings

1. Start  
2. Settings  
3. Control Panel  
4. Internet Options  
5. Privacy tab
6. Click Restore Default button  

Reset Internet Explorer advanced settings

1. Start  
2. Settings  
3. Control Panel  
4. Internet Options  
5. Advanced button
6. Click Restore Default button  

You may need to do the following as well

Remove Cookies, temporary files (cache) and history

1. Start  
2. Settings  
3. Control Panel  
4. Internet Options  
5. General tab  
6. Remove cookies, temporary files and history  

Kudos to the CH fella's for keeping it safe.  :D

scoutmamaof4

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2006, 08:08:33 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions.  I did the above on the first day with no results.  I tried different settings in the advanced tab, also to no avail.  

The strange thing to me is that it is happening on all computers except for one, which has automatic updates disabled.

I'm going to try upgrading to Explorer 7 this morning.

scoutmamaof4

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2006, 08:44:12 AM »
I have upgraded to Explorer7, rebooted the computer, set all settings back to default, cleared cookies, etc...still am not able to log in.

I keep thinking it has something to do with our system somehow.  I logged in at home with no problem and my computer does the automatic updates there.  

We use Norton Anti-Virus on all our computers.  As far as I know, every computer has the same basic configuration.  

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    « Reply #10 on: November 02, 2006, 09:23:54 AM »
    Just a thought...you might check the NAV settings on the computer that does work, then compare them to some that don't

Alan <><  :D
    « Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 09:25:04 AM by ale52 »
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!