Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: game won't load, goes to desktop  (Read 10681 times)

Robert A

game won't load, goes to desktop
« on: September 18, 2004, 08:22:07 PM »
firstly, i'm new and don;t know jack about computers.

I used to play several games (Black and White; the original Dooms; and that Atari Aniversary package, loads of fun, really) and all was well until yesterday, when I installed Rallisport Challenge.

it went poorly, i was dissappointed, and got it off my computer. now I try to load my games and they try to change the resolution like they normally do, but it just goes back to the desktop. i really miss terrorizing the peasants.

one thing that happened is that once i tried to load rallisport the first time, the game errored and said i should use lower graphical junk. so i did, and was promply dissappointed.

I tried changing the res, but that didn't work.

im running XP and the graphical thingy is ATI.

any help would be great, thanks

Raptor

Re: game won't load, goes to desktop
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2004, 04:12:22 AM »
See if uninstalling drivers and installing updates ones work.

You can remove drivers from the add/remove software.

It may be good to clean your registry as well.

Advanced System Optimizer V2,  Regseeker and Advanced Uninstaller Pro 2004 are excellent programs to do that for you.

Clean your registry when you have uninstalled the drivers.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2004, 04:13:53 AM by Raptor »

Messenger

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2004, 10:37:45 AM »
you mean the graphics drivers, right? The laptop is never connected to the internet, will i have to connect it?

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2004, 10:40:09 AM »
Not unless you want to download the programs recommended or wish to install updates drivers (Which is highly recommended)

Messenger

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2004, 10:43:32 AM »
dang. time to find one of those AOL discs

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2004, 11:13:25 AM »
If you're going to use AOL, don't bother going online. I hear many negative things about this provider.

If you really have no way of obtaining these drivers and/or programs, donot bother. Just uninstall and reinstall your current drivers by using the CD-ROM that came with your videocard.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2004, 11:13:52 AM by Raptor »

Messenger

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2004, 10:28:12 PM »
the bad things you hear about aol are true. the only reason I have to use it is because my family does, which is partly why i got my own laptop in the first place: keep my stuff away from them.

it doesn't matter, i'll just take AOL off when i'm done, ive done it before

or can you tell me how i can connect to the internet through my lan connection to this (family) computer?

I am connecting them through a crossover cable and just haven't done it yet. if you could point me to a website showing me how to do this, it would be great

-RA

Raptor

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2004, 06:06:40 AM »
I donot know a lot about Networks or Laptops, but if you create a new post in the hardware section your question will be noticed.

Messenger

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2004, 04:40:58 PM »
I looked closer a the posts above and remembered, it's not my drivers that are the problem, they were working fine before. and I don't like that optimizer.

how would the regseeker help?

*UPDATE*

got it fixed, thanks
« Last Edit: September 20, 2004, 07:17:04 PM by Messenger »

Raptor

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2004, 05:22:36 AM »
You can remove faulty registry entries that may be causing problems. It's just a better way of removing drivers once you have uninstalled them.

And Advanced System Optimizer is a most useful tool.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2004, 05:23:03 AM by Raptor »

Messenger

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2004, 05:19:54 PM »
cool

anyway, just in case anybody else needs help...

I removed the video card from hardware manager, it sounded risky at first, but when I re-started the computer, it recognized the vid card as new hardware and installed the drivers, thanks to plug-and-play. after the second restart, everything is well. NOTE, you might not get so lucky and would have to install the drivers through the cd you get when you buy the comp

Raptor

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2004, 01:25:33 AM »
I suggest you install updated drivers. The Windows plug and play drivers may be outdated and not functioning as well as official drives.