Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Runner Error - Help, please!  (Read 2882 times)

jody364

Runner Error - Help, please!
« on: November 05, 2006, 08:34:27 AM »
When I start my computer up, I get a "runner error" message that reads "invalid backweb application id "137903".  Can someone please tell me if this can be fixed?  Thanks

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Runner Error - Help, please!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2006, 08:38:27 AM »
Can you post some more information on your computer?
Information such as your operating system, hardware, when this started happening, your malware protection and if you changed anything before this started happening, would be helpful

I think I read somewhere that Backweb is spyware, but I'm not dead sure
Post some more info and we'll see what we can do

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2006, 08:43:05 AM »
Your spyware removal program deleted a needed file on your HP or COMPAQ computer.  See if you can have the spyware removal program restore the file.  This link has more info:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c00061410

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2006, 08:47:12 AM »
Hmm, so Backweb isn't spyware after all?
I just assumed it was because on my old desktop Spybot S&D picked it up and deleted it, and then I couldn't figure out why a Kodak camera program wouldn't work, must've been something to do with that.....

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2006, 08:50:09 AM »
Backweb was used to get updates to older Compaq systems. Perhaps they still use it? It was a resource hog and caused problems in my experience.

jody364

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2006, 08:50:43 AM »
I have a HP Pavilion a520n running Windows XP Home Edition.  I not sure what else you need as I am not very computer literate.  My son downloads music from the internet to Windows Media Player alot.  He also visits Myspace.com.  I have The Shield as my antivirsus software.  I was using Norton before, but started have trouble with it and removed it from computer.  I contacted HP and they were no help in solving the problem.  They kept saying I would probably have to reset to when I first purchased the computer.  I want to avoid doing that if possible.  I have to much info to lose.   Thanks

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2006, 08:53:45 AM »
Did you check the link pcdoc4christ gave you?
I had a look and it tells you how to solve it, although it mentions the possibility of losing files
It also says you can just uninstall the software to fix it

jody364

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2006, 09:18:13 AM »
I did look at the link.  Do you think the software updates are important?

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2006, 09:20:51 AM »
It depends what the updates are for
I would say they're probably not important, you can update Windows automatically and if you need driver updates you can get them from the manufacturer's website, same with other software
Someone else correct me if I'm wrong though

EDIT: Quote from site - "Updates from HP or Compaq Connections is a messaging service that comes pre-installed on HP and Compaq desktop computers. The service provides product notices, support updates, tips, and special offers specifically for your model of HP or Compaq PC."
It doesn't seem necessary to me, again correct me if I'm wrong please
If there's something really important, they'll post it on the website, you don't need that running all the time just to tell you the odd thing
« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 09:35:14 AM by Calum »

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2006, 10:00:13 AM »
HP printers also install Backweb...i don't buy them.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

GX1_Man

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2006, 10:17:11 AM »
I have a HP Pavilion a520n running Windows XP Home Edition.  I not sure what else you need as I am not very computer literate.  My son downloads music from the internet to Windows Media Player alot.  He also visits Myspace.com.  I have The Shield as my antivirsus software.  I was using Norton before, but started have trouble with it and removed it from computer.  I contacted HP and they were no help in solving the problem.  They kept saying I would probably have to reset to when I first purchased the computer.  [highlight]I want to avoid doing that if possible.  I have to much info to lose.  [/highlight] Thanks

Famous last words. When that hard drive dies, and they all do, that information will be lost forever. You need to start working on a backup strategy now.  ;)

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2006, 12:48:21 PM »
Backweb was used to get updates to older Compaq systems. Perhaps they still use it? It was a resource hog and caused problems in my experience.

Good point.  "Needed" was not the best adjective for me to use to describe the file.