Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Canon i9100 print preview not showing  (Read 2899 times)

stan53

Canon i9100 print preview not showing
« on: November 05, 2006, 02:59:46 PM »
2 of my 3 PC's will drive my Canon i960 or i9100 printers with no problem. The 3rd PC prints fine, but will not preview on either printer. Even though I always request preview...

...on this PC only, either printer just fires right up without a preview... very frustrating.  >:(

I've reloaded drivers and generally wasted a bunch of time on the obstinate machine for weeks/months now, and am actually considering replacing the PC over this problem. (A user on another forum posted a similar issue with a Pixma printer last year, which he told me he only fixed by replacing his PC. :'( )

The good PC's ... a Dell Inspiron 4150 P4M 2GHz XP Pro SP2 1G RAM, and an unbranded desktop P4 2GHz W2K SP4 1G RAM.

The bad PC ... an ECube AMD Athlon XP1700+ 1.46GHz XP Home SP2 480M RAM with no onboard CD drive (I replaced with a 2nd HDD for Ghost backups and Gigastudio instrument files). Reloading OS would be a pain (can I even do that from a network CD drive?).

I won't say I've tried everything, but I've certainly tried a lot. Since I have Ghost backups of my C drive, I felt safe just uninstalling software down to nearly nothing (I messed up Gigastudio in that process since it wiped out D drive files too- my bad...  >:(). Anyway, when there was nothing left but ACDSee and Fotoslate (which I use for photo handling and printing) I still got no preview.

I guess it's worth it to me to start from scratch and reinstall everything (have to install a CD drive first?)... but only if it fixes the problem, and I don't have a lot of faith it would.  :-/   Maybe I have to replace the PC after all?

Any ideas, anyone?   Thanks.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Canon i9100 print preview not showing
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 12:56:19 PM »
Do you have the same applications installed on the problem PC as the other two PCs?  If you open WordPad, type in something, and click on the Preview button on the toolbar, it does not preview?  Is that right?

stan53

Re: Canon i9100 print preview not showing
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 07:33:25 PM »
On all PC's I print from Fotoslate 4 and sometimes ACDSee 5. Neither has a preview function. I rely on Canon's print preview instead.

I just tried Wordpad. I typed in a few words, did Wordpad's print preview (which worked fine), then did "Print" (from preview). It gave me the Canon i9100 preferences choices as usual, I checked "Preview before printing" as always, and hit OK. No Canon preview, printer just started printing.  >:(  ::)  :P  :'(

Canon tech support has tried without success to help me (kind of nice since i9100 is way out of warranty, and I wasn't even the original purchaser). Maybe they'll come thru with a fix eventually. Meantime I'm shopping for a <$100 PIII 1GHz desktop here in Orlando- found a few possibilities on eBay.  :-/
« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 07:36:54 PM by stan53 »