Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: suddenly a new DVD drive (G)..none was added..AND  (Read 4727 times)

chacherry3

Re: suddenly a new DVD drive (G)..none was added..
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2006, 07:31:07 PM »
ok...seen wht you wrote....love the info,..I am so glad you did not tell me to just dump this PC...this sure does give me some hope.  (Computer Hope..Oh!, hee hee...I get it!!! giggle)

GX1_Man

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2006, 07:39:19 PM »
Unfortunately I don't know that it measures that. The fact that it had no name CLEARLY visible and a blue light and you don't remember paying a lot for it makes it sound like an "el-cheapo".

If you have a place nearby that sells power supplies, head on down. I usually recommend Antec and say if you didn't spend at least $50 you got an el cheapo. As this is an older system, you will have to make up your own mind what you want to invest in it. www.newegg.com has a wide variety if you don't have a store nearby. Count those pins!

Here is a handy wattage calculator link, to determine roughly what you need.

http://www.journeysystems.com/power_supply_calculator.php

chacherry3

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2006, 07:39:40 PM »
sorry for writting so much ...I have one VERY important question.
can I delete the zip file I sent? ...is there info on it that could cause problems for me if this PC ever gets up and running again ...and someone wants to get into it? somewhere out there, someone may be able to find this PC and get in and cause havoc???  ...paranoid now.  (grin)

P.S.  this is 3rd message..I have sent 3 in a row...please see previous 2 as well?

chacherry3

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2006, 07:46:20 PM »
SORRY SORRY SORRY...another question,.....If it is the power supply,....then what would that have to do with the monitor?  ...has its own power supply...right?...plugs in the wall? ....ok, probably dumb question,...(but I would sure like to know to learn.)

(....4th message in a row...please see others)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 07:47:10 PM by chacherry3 »

GX1_Man

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2006, 07:48:20 PM »
Power supply powers the machine and therefore the video card which gives output to the monitor when it is plugged in.

Remember too that because it gets some power does not mean it is getting the correct power.

I am off now, but good luck and don't forget to post back.  ;)

Addendum: Yes, you can delete the zip file. No secrets, but you may feel better.

I would not encourage anyone to dump an old PC unless the cost of repair outweighed the value. And if it still meets your needs there is no need to upgrade.

Belarc will not show power supply unit.

I think I got them all.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 07:52:06 PM by GX1_Man »

chacherry3

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2006, 07:50:26 PM »
Thank you for everything!!!

should I delete the zip file here?.....has much info about this PC...could cause problem if others see?

GX1_Man

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2006, 07:52:49 PM »
If for some reason you cannot delete it, I will delete that one post in 5 minutes. There's no serial numbers or anything vital.

Glad I could help.  ;)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 07:53:20 PM by GX1_Man »

chacherry3

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2006, 07:55:01 PM »
I think i got it ...YOUR THE BEST!!!

Thank you for being here to help all of us!!!

you have a great Night!

Granny

GX1_Man

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2006, 07:58:53 PM »
Goodnight, Granny!  ;)