Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: trying to slave old harddrive in new computer  (Read 2223 times)

wichvel

trying to slave old harddrive in new computer
« on: November 06, 2006, 10:16:02 PM »
Bought new Compaq Presario SR2034NX, AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3800+, 1024MB PC2-4200 DDR2 SDRAM, 250GB serial ATA hard drive, NVIDIAGeForce 6150 LE Graphics, Windows XP Media Center Edition 2002 SP2.

I wanted to slave my old 80GB Western Digital IDE hard drive with a 40-pin data connector to the new 250GB SATA hard drive, but the data cable is different. The SATA hard drive uses a smaller red cable about 1/2" wide with black 1" wide connector.

I would like to, at the very least, copy my 1500 songs and numerous pictures to a DVD. Preferrably, slave the old hard drive. 8-)

Do I need to find an adapter, or can I hook in to the 40-pin data cable going to the DVD burner? Guidance please!? :-/

GX1_Man

Re: trying to slave old harddrive in new computer
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 03:46:06 AM »
The IDE header on the motherboard will support two devices, so if you have the appropriate cable and jumper the hard drive Master and the  optical drive as swlave you could have both functional at once. Make sure it is shown correctly in the BIOS.

If you only have a cable for one drive, you could substitute the hard drive for the optical drive temporarilit. Just make sure it is jumpered correctly and seen correctly in the BIOS.

wichvel

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 10:54:08 PM »
Thank you. I'll try those options. Thanks for the info!

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 04:23:20 AM »
You're welcome and let us know how it goes.